Access edge with IIS site on same box? RRS feed

• Question

• I only have one machine in my DMZ. This box hosts OCS Edge for Communicator and LiveMeeting (LiveMeeting doesn't work externally yet, but that's another issue). I also want to use this box for FTP and a web site (SSL using port 443). The hardware should be more than adequate to serve the number of users accessing these services. A problem I have run into is that OCS seems to hog port 443 on all interfaces. I can not assign port 443 to my SSL site in IIS. When I do, the site is unaccessible and the IIS site stops. This is on a different physical NIC and IP address than I have specified for my OCS internal and external interfaces.

So is it possible to run a IIS site on port 443 on an OCS Edge box? If so how? My FTP is working properly and seems to have no conflict.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:45 PM

All replies

• Just when I thought I had seen all possible Edge server configurations Smile

I have not tried this out, but if you in fact have a dedicated interface that is not sharing any resources with defined OCS roles, then you may in fact be on to something.  Have you tried using a completely separate IP subnetwork on the non-OCS external interface?

Just for the sake of saying so, I'm sure that this is completely unsupported as the Edge server was not designed to collocate with any other Microsoft services.  I've run into a similar issue with ISA Server fighting IIS on the host server for control of TCP 80/443 and it may fall into the same scenario.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Correct - this is an unsupported configuration.  Remove the FTP and web site.  If the problem remains, we can go further.  And, yes - you're right.  OCS is going to take control of 443, as it does not expect that it should ever have to share it with anything else. 

Communication on an edge server is priority #1.

Rick
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:29 PM