none
System Drive Speed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have just rebuilt my WHS due to a system drive failure.

I put a new 250 GIG SATA drive in for the system and got her running again.

After I did a complete server reinstall I noticed the OS would often lock up when doing file transfers.

I used HD Tune to check each of the hard drives and found that all disks other than the system drive where operating at 50+mb.

The system drive however was operating 5mb maximum.

Does this indicate a fault drive or is it running so slowly due to some limitation of WHS?

Any help appreciated!

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:41 AM

All replies

• You can check to see if the system drive is running in PIO mode rather than UDMA mode. If so, that could indicate a failing drive; when Windows detects drive errors it steps down access speed to try to compensate.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 26, 2010 12:39 PM
  • I had a look in device manager and it is running in PIO mode.....

Now I think I should give you some back ground, my server recently crashed and I lost the system drive. I added a new system drive and it asked me to do a new install not a reinstall so I installed two drives one as a new system drive and one to start a new pool. I then began copying all the stuff from the DE folder on an old drive into the new pool so I could rescue my files.

I suspect that the drive I am taking stuff off to add in the pool is faulty as I did three other drives and they all ran fine but this one gave alot of errors so I removed it from the Server and plugged it into another machine and attempted to use FTP to transfer files from this drive back into the pool.

At this point is when I noticed as you suggested I am running in PIO modem so I uninstalled the primary IDE channel and rebooted and it is now back in the correct mode and out of PIO. I then attempted to FTP the files again from the drive I removed from the server that I suspected was failing and I still get the lock ups. It will transfer about 100MB's and then the entire OS will stall for a minute or two then pickup.

I rechecked and the IDE channels are not in PIO mode so I am thinking the only other thing I can do is try another drive over FTP and see if it locks up again and then that will rule out my theory on the removed drive being the fault.

Sorry for the long story but does that make sense and does any one have any other ideas?

P.s Thanks for all the help!

Monday, July 26, 2010 10:47 PM
  • I had a look in device manager and it is running in PIO mode.....

Now I think I should give you some back ground, my server recently crashed and I lost the system drive. I added a new system drive and it asked me to do a new install not a reinstall so I installed two drives one as a new system drive and one to start a new pool. I then began copying all the stuff from the DE folder on an old drive into the new pool so I could rescue my files.

I suspect that the drive I am taking stuff off to add in the pool is faulty as I did three other drives and they all ran fine but this one gave alot of errors so I removed it from the Server and plugged it into another machine and attempted to use FTP to transfer files from this drive back into the pool.

At this point is when I noticed as you suggested I am running in PIO modem so I uninstalled the primary IDE channel and rebooted and it is now back in the correct mode and out of PIO. I then attempted to FTP the files again from the drive I removed from the server that I suspected was failing and I still get the lock ups. It will transfer about 100MB's and then the entire OS will stall for a minute or two then pickup.

I rechecked and the IDE channels are not in PIO mode so I am thinking the only other thing I can do is try another drive over FTP and see if it locks up again and then that will rule out my theory on the removed drive being the fault.

Sorry for the long story but does that make sense and does any one have any other ideas?

P.s Thanks for all the help!

Why are you using FTP for anything?  Just copy to the shares on the server from the client that has the drive connected to it.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:40 AM