2nd Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I decided last weekend to reinstall Windows due to some errors I was getting. I discovered my CD was missing - not surprising considering I bought this computer right when XP was new and have moved twice since then. A friend let me borrow his CD to install XP Pro again.

I install XP and have to use his key to install it as it won't take mine, it fails the validation (as expected), but takes me to the website where I can change me Key. I use that program to change my Key back to my ACTUAL key (printed on the tower with the COA below it). That works fine and Windows says I'm valid.

Great!

Problem: due to a problem with NVIDIA, Windows starts BSOD'ing every time I try to use the NVIDIA drivers. I know what I did wrong, so I reinstall Windows again to do it right. Of course, the key I use is wrong, so I go and run the official Windows Key fixing tool thing, put in my ACTUAL key again, and it tell me my Key is already in use and won't accept it!

Of course my Key's in use, I just typed it in 2 days ago, from the same computer, same hardware, same everything. Good news: fixed my problem. Bad News: I'm unable to use my Key, so I can't validate my windows. I want to run my Key so I can be valid, and I'm confused as to why I can't use my Key, on the same computer, that I just installed Windows on 2 days ago.

I mean, am I basically only allowed to reinstall ONCE, EVER?

Help?

Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:28 AM

Answers

• TaninWulf,

The Product Key Updater Utility is meant to be used only once on any given installation of XP, and furthermore it is design purpose is to convert nongenuine installations of XP to genuine installations.

The correct solution would be for you to acquire the genuine Microsoft XP CD or manufacturer's Recovery CD (whichever is appropriate from your type of OEM installation).  Using the correct CD will avoid the problem that you are experiencing with the Key Updater Utility.

Please provide the following info for more detailed advice:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:10 PM
  • I'd love to get a CD from my manufacturer, OmniTech, but the problem is they were bought out (I believe by Dell) and the company who bought them doesn't support them anymore.

Here's the report from MGdiag:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-B8RTP-737KV-66KTX
    Windows Product Key Hash: kz+Aa4ZCfBRWhJqyN47gXOPd8I4=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-647-5295914-23084
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: c981e193-41a7-4434-afe0-15732ab48c45
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>c981e193-41a7-4434-afe0-15732ab48c45</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-66KTX</PKey><PID>55274-647-5295914-23084</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1659004503-1229272821-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Omni Tech Corp                 </Manufacturer><Model>OTC-H2100D00                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>PT84510A.86A.0024.P05.0204291009</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020429000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>469C3D1F0184C052</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57610</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

As for the CoA: It's for Windows XP Pro, and it's not for OEM. Unfortunately, alot of it's worn off over the last few years, but the label still has the product key and the CoA on it. If I remember correctly, for home computers, OmniTech always provided unique, individually licensed copies of XP, not OEMs or volume licenses.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:02 PM
  • TaninWulf,

Please have a close look at your CoA.  Please tell us if it has the computer manufacturer's name [OmniTech] on the line underneath the Product Description [Microsoft Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU], or, if it has the wording "OEM Product" or "OEM Software."

Thank You

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:13 AM
  • That part I do know, even though it's mostly worn off: it had the manufacturer's name [OmniTech], not OEM.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 11:30 AM
  • TaninWulf,

You can work around not having the manufacturer's Recovery CD by borrowing a CD from a friend as you tried, but the trick is that you have to use the correct CD for the job.

Retail CDs (both full and upgrade) and Volume Licensing CDs will not work to do what you want to do, nor will manufacturer's Recovery CDs from other manufacturers.  What you need to track down is called a systembuilder/OEM CD, and these have the wording "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC." printed on the upper left of the CD face embedded in the hologram.  This CD comes with a CoA that has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" on that second line where on your CD is reads "OmniTech."  Neither the CD nor the CoA has a computer manufacturer's name printed on it.

Please DO NOT be tempted to download isos of XP CDs from the usual P2P or pirated software sites.  These isos are very likely to have all manner of rootkits, malware, and viruses embedded in the contents of the CD, and who needs that?

Once you have found one of these CDs, you can use it to do a clean installation.  When Setup asks for the Product Key, use the PK on YOUR CoA, not on the CoA that came with this CD.  Setup will complete.  Then, don't try an automatic online activation, instead, choose the option to "activate your product by Telephone."  You may be able to activate immediately using the automated system.  If not, be sure to choose the option to speak with a live activation rep, and be sure to explain that you are using the PK from your genuine CoA combined with a systembuilder/OEM CD because you unfortunately lost the CD and the manufacturer is no longer in business.

Post back and let us know how you are doing!

Monday, June 11, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Alright, thanks Dan.

I was afraid that was the final answer. =/

Looks like my friend's CD was the wrong type and it didn't take my key - i'll see if I can track down a right one, given OmniTech's demise.

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:27 PM
  • TaninWulf,

If the Certificate of Authenticity has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed on the line right underneath the description of the product, say "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition," then this is a system builder/OEM license (rather than an OEM SLP license from a major manufacturer OEM).  In such case, a lost CD can be replaced by asking your system builder to participate in the End User Media Replacement program, which is a customer service program from Microsoft that supplies replacement CDs to system builders for free so that they can supply them to their customers.

If you don't have a system builder or they are no longer in business, you can request a replacement CD from Microsoft for $30 using this form:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/a/b/babc90a1-b794-4a94-84f5-cbc37827ddca/americas%20end%20user%20media%20replacement%20form.pdf

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:09 AM
  • Sorry to throw in, but MICROSOFT - I have an omni tech "for distribution only with a new PC" XP  pro CD sealed that I just bought off of Ebay with no key.  I have a lady's IBM notebook that has a boot problem, and I wanted to use recovery console or recover to try to correct it.  Will this CD do recovery console, and/or attempt to recover (without erasing everything?)?  The machine is updated to SP2, and they say the CD is.   Her key is on the bottom of her IBM.  The only CD IBM has is to install from scratch back  to SP1 or earlier, so they say.  We don't want to go that far back.

And Dan -  do you need one of these CD's?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:39 AM
  • Sorry to break in, but I have just bought one of those Omni Tech CD's off of Ebay.  It is XP PRO.

I have a girl's IBM notebook that won't boot past the Windows Screen, and I  wanted to try recovery console or recover.

Will this CD - says "For distribution with a new Omni Tech PC" - boot and do recovery console or recovery, etc.?

Her future husband grabbed the IBM out of her hand and closed the lid, and now the windows logo comes up, but then it

wants to do a full recovery (safe mode does not work either).  Would the CD help.  I have not opened it yet since it is sealed

and they said it is SP2, but nowhere does the package say it.  I had upgraded her to SP2 some time ago.  It was xP PRO SP 1 IBM

originally.

Dan - do you need one of these CD's?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:57 AM
  • Sorry about the double reply, but signing up for the board dealt me fits.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:59 AM
  • Ms101jbw,

The CD you are describing will start and run the Windows Recovery Console, but the Recovery Console (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/en-us, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us) is a component of Windows and is not to be confused with a typical manufacturer's full system recovery, which typically is designed to reimage the user partition of the hard disk drive on the computer to put it back to "out-of-the-box" condition.

Using the Recovery Console to run chkdsk would not be a bad idea given the symptoms you are describing.

Chances are the CD you describe will not be successful in doing a system recovery, repair reinstallation, or clean installation of XP onto the IBM computer if the CD has SLP (system lock preinstall) features.

Your best option is to acquire the correct Recovery CD from IBM.  As long as you backup and offload the data from the computer before running the Recovery CD, it's immaterial that the Recovery CD is only at SP1 level, as you can easily apply SP2 abd all subsequent Updates thru Windows Updates.

The original poster of this thread, TaninWulf, may be interested in the Omni-Tech CD.  Can you post a link to the eBay listing?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:59 AM
  • I have the unopened omni-tech CD, and was going to send it back, since it appears to not be at SP2.  It is 2002 level.

I paid $30 for it. 

Do you think one of these will recover mine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-XP-Pro-SP2-Win-XP-Professional-Original-CD-SP2_W0QQitemZ250133778881QQihZ015QQcategoryZ41888QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:47 AM
  • See previous post, and if that CD won't do repair, then what if I buy a retail copy of Windows XP PRO?   Can I use the COA for XP PRO on the bottom of her IBM notebook with it, etc.?  Then maybe return it.  We are getting desperate.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:09 AM
  • MS101jbw,

It is very difficult to clearly see the lettering on the picture of the CD. I cannot see anywhere where it says it is for an OnmiTech computer.  And I can barely make it out, but it looks like it says Service Pack 2 on the right side at the three o'clock position.  Since the description of the CD you posted does not match the picture, I cannot give you any "friendly advice" regarding the CD.

As I previously posted, IMO it is unlikely that an OmniTech CD (assuming it uses SLP) will consent to run Setup and install XP on your IBM computer once it looks for and discovers that the computer is not an OmniTech computer.

However, I have used Dell OS Reinstallation CDs on non-Dell computers to start the Windows XP Recovery Console (RC), from which you can run diagnostic and repair utilities such as Checkdisk.  So the disk you have may work to at least run the RC.  See this MS KB for info on the Windows Recovery Console:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/en-us

Have you check the support information for the IBM laptop to see if it has diagnostic programs available at startup?

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:21 PM
  • MS101jbw,

A retail CD for XP Pro will NOT accept the OEM Product Key on the IBM laptop's CoA.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Sorry, but  I was now talking about the one I might buy.  The one that the link points to is not Omni Tech.

Never mind it.  It seems that our original poster is not looking here any more.  I can return it for my money.

So, the CD in the link is supposed to be an OEM install CD, and not a recovery CD - since it says Microsoft, it would not

just be a recovery CD, right?  Previously in this thread you had mentioned some kind of OEM install CD, right?

Doesn't this look like one since it is Microsoft Hologram?  And wouldn't Includes SP2 mean it is integrated?

What do you think?  Or can I buy a Retail CD, but it would not accept the IBM key would it?  Or could I use Retail,

and change the keey back or something?  Anyway, what about the ebay CD at the link?  Thanks.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:47 PM
  • The guy  on ebay has this to say in response to my questions...  Does  this sound  like  what I need?

Yes these are full featured and will run the recovery. In my line of work that has never been the easiest, recovery console has seldom worked for me the way it should. I usually cut my losses and re-install. Yes this will reinstall at XP Pro with Service Pack 2. You don't need to run the update for Service Pack 2 but you need to run the updates anyway to get whatever came out after svc pack 2.

Please remember you must have a SP 2 key or you will have to call microsoft during your install.

David

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Ms101jbw,

From what I can make out, the CD in the link appears to be a Windows XP CD.  I cannot make out whether it is a retail CD or OEM, nor can I make out whether it's Home, Pro, or whatever. But it does seem to have Service Pack 2 on it.  And of course, it's impossible to tell if it is a genuine CD from a picture.

If this is a genuine systembuilder/OEM XP Pro CD, then this CD would work with the Product Key on the IBM laptop's CoA, assuming of course that the CoA and its Product Key are for XP Pro.

With this OEM CD, you would be able to start and run the computer using the Windows Recovery Console (which runs directly from the CD).

You would NOT be able to use a retail XP Pro CD to run Setup and use the OEM PK.

A retail CD for XP Pro may be able to run the limited commands within the Windows Recovery Console on a computer that has an OEM installation of XP Pro---I can't say for sure since I have never tried it.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Great News!  The CD appears to be full OEM XP PRO SP2 Microsoft Hologram.  No particular company name (other than Microsoft).  I was able to boot from it, and it loaded Windows.  I issued the R, and at a prompt, I entered CHKDSK and let it run.  I shutdown, and windows came up normal with the desktop picture that was there before the accident.  Seems to all be here.  The CD was on ebay, buy now was $34.99 plus $5.  probably worth every cent.  There are others up for auction, and he will take offers sometimes.   Thanks so much for you help!

Monday, June 25, 2007 12:41 AM
  • See my previous post.  Did you get your problem fixed?  You sure helped me!  Thanks!
    Monday, June 25, 2007 12:42 AM
  • One more question.  I have a full retail box Windows XP Home with SP2 with COA, never used, but the CD is scratched.  Can I use the COA code that came with the upgrade version with a full version CD if I can find one?   Or do I have to find an upgrade CD?  Thanks.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 12:57 AM
  •  TaninWulf wrote:

I decided last weekend to reinstall Windows due to some errors I was getting. I discovered my CD was missing - not surprising considering I bought this computer right when XP was new and have moved twice since then. A friend let me borrow his CD to install XP Pro again.

I install XP and have to use his key to install it as it won't take mine, it fails the validation (as expected), but takes me to the website where I can change me Key. I use that program to change my Key back to my ACTUAL key (printed on the tower with the COA below it). That works fine and Windows says I'm valid.

Great!

Problem: due to a problem with NVIDIA, Windows starts BSOD'ing every time I try to use the NVIDIA drivers. I know what I did wrong, so I reinstall Windows again to do it right. Of course, the key I use is wrong, so I go and run the official Windows Key fixing tool thing, put in my ACTUAL key again, and it tell me my Key is already in use and won't accept it!

Of course my Key's in use, I just typed it in 2 days ago, from the same computer, same hardware, same everything. Good news: fixed my problem. Bad News: I'm unable to use my Key, so I can't validate my windows. I want to run my Key so I can be valid, and I'm confused as to why I can't use my Key, on the same computer, that I just installed Windows on 2 days ago.

Help?

Monday, June 25, 2007 1:30 AM
  • So, what was your point karlos06?

By the way, I believe that I heard that you might can do a callin type activation.

Also, there is various key update software on ebay, and they surely can help you on this.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:18 AM
  • ms101jbw,

Please see this MS KB article:  How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Full licenses and upgrade licenses are sold in retail packaging, so the above article should help you get a replacement for the scratched CD for your full license and the missing CD for the upgrade license.  Remember, each of these four different types of licenses needs its own corresponding Product Key---mix-n-match won't work:  full retail; retail upgrade; systetembuilder and royalty OEM; volume. 

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:35 AM

All replies

• TaninWulf,

The Product Key Updater Utility is meant to be used only once on any given installation of XP, and furthermore it is design purpose is to convert nongenuine installations of XP to genuine installations.

The correct solution would be for you to acquire the genuine Microsoft XP CD or manufacturer's Recovery CD (whichever is appropriate from your type of OEM installation).  Using the correct CD will avoid the problem that you are experiencing with the Key Updater Utility.

Please provide the following info for more detailed advice:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:10 PM
  • I'd love to get a CD from my manufacturer, OmniTech, but the problem is they were bought out (I believe by Dell) and the company who bought them doesn't support them anymore.

Here's the report from MGdiag:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-B8RTP-737KV-66KTX
    Windows Product Key Hash: kz+Aa4ZCfBRWhJqyN47gXOPd8I4=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-647-5295914-23084
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: c981e193-41a7-4434-afe0-15732ab48c45
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>c981e193-41a7-4434-afe0-15732ab48c45</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-66KTX</PKey><PID>55274-647-5295914-23084</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1659004503-1229272821-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Omni Tech Corp                 </Manufacturer><Model>OTC-H2100D00                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>PT84510A.86A.0024.P05.0204291009</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020429000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>469C3D1F0184C052</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57610</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

As for the CoA: It's for Windows XP Pro, and it's not for OEM. Unfortunately, alot of it's worn off over the last few years, but the label still has the product key and the CoA on it. If I remember correctly, for home computers, OmniTech always provided unique, individually licensed copies of XP, not OEMs or volume licenses.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:02 PM
  • TaninWulf,

Please have a close look at your CoA.  Please tell us if it has the computer manufacturer's name [OmniTech] on the line underneath the Product Description [Microsoft Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU], or, if it has the wording "OEM Product" or "OEM Software."

Thank You

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:13 AM
  • That part I do know, even though it's mostly worn off: it had the manufacturer's name [OmniTech], not OEM.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 11:30 AM
  • TaninWulf,

You can work around not having the manufacturer's Recovery CD by borrowing a CD from a friend as you tried, but the trick is that you have to use the correct CD for the job.

Retail CDs (both full and upgrade) and Volume Licensing CDs will not work to do what you want to do, nor will manufacturer's Recovery CDs from other manufacturers.  What you need to track down is called a systembuilder/OEM CD, and these have the wording "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC." printed on the upper left of the CD face embedded in the hologram.  This CD comes with a CoA that has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" on that second line where on your CD is reads "OmniTech."  Neither the CD nor the CoA has a computer manufacturer's name printed on it.

Please DO NOT be tempted to download isos of XP CDs from the usual P2P or pirated software sites.  These isos are very likely to have all manner of rootkits, malware, and viruses embedded in the contents of the CD, and who needs that?

Once you have found one of these CDs, you can use it to do a clean installation.  When Setup asks for the Product Key, use the PK on YOUR CoA, not on the CoA that came with this CD.  Setup will complete.  Then, don't try an automatic online activation, instead, choose the option to "activate your product by Telephone."  You may be able to activate immediately using the automated system.  If not, be sure to choose the option to speak with a live activation rep, and be sure to explain that you are using the PK from your genuine CoA combined with a systembuilder/OEM CD because you unfortunately lost the CD and the manufacturer is no longer in business.

Post back and let us know how you are doing!

Monday, June 11, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Alright, thanks Dan.

I was afraid that was the final answer. =/

Looks like my friend's CD was the wrong type and it didn't take my key - i'll see if I can track down a right one, given OmniTech's demise.

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:27 PM
  • TaninWulf,

If the Certificate of Authenticity has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed on the line right underneath the description of the product, say "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition," then this is a system builder/OEM license (rather than an OEM SLP license from a major manufacturer OEM).  In such case, a lost CD can be replaced by asking your system builder to participate in the End User Media Replacement program, which is a customer service program from Microsoft that supplies replacement CDs to system builders for free so that they can supply them to their customers.

If you don't have a system builder or they are no longer in business, you can request a replacement CD from Microsoft for $30 using this form:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/a/b/babc90a1-b794-4a94-84f5-cbc37827ddca/americas%20end%20user%20media%20replacement%20form.pdf

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:09 AM
  • Sorry to throw in, but MICROSOFT - I have an omni tech "for distribution only with a new PC" XP  pro CD sealed that I just bought off of Ebay with no key.  I have a lady's IBM notebook that has a boot problem, and I wanted to use recovery console or recover to try to correct it.  Will this CD do recovery console, and/or attempt to recover (without erasing everything?)?  The machine is updated to SP2, and they say the CD is.   Her key is on the bottom of her IBM.  The only CD IBM has is to install from scratch back  to SP1 or earlier, so they say.  We don't want to go that far back.

And Dan -  do you need one of these CD's?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:39 AM
  • Sorry to break in, but I have just bought one of those Omni Tech CD's off of Ebay.  It is XP PRO.

I have a girl's IBM notebook that won't boot past the Windows Screen, and I  wanted to try recovery console or recover.

Will this CD - says "For distribution with a new Omni Tech PC" - boot and do recovery console or recovery, etc.?

Her future husband grabbed the IBM out of her hand and closed the lid, and now the windows logo comes up, but then it

wants to do a full recovery (safe mode does not work either).  Would the CD help.  I have not opened it yet since it is sealed

and they said it is SP2, but nowhere does the package say it.  I had upgraded her to SP2 some time ago.  It was xP PRO SP 1 IBM

originally.

Dan - do you need one of these CD's?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:57 AM
  • Sorry about the double reply, but signing up for the board dealt me fits.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:59 AM
  • Ms101jbw,

The CD you are describing will start and run the Windows Recovery Console, but the Recovery Console (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/en-us, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us) is a component of Windows and is not to be confused with a typical manufacturer's full system recovery, which typically is designed to reimage the user partition of the hard disk drive on the computer to put it back to "out-of-the-box" condition.

Using the Recovery Console to run chkdsk would not be a bad idea given the symptoms you are describing.

Chances are the CD you describe will not be successful in doing a system recovery, repair reinstallation, or clean installation of XP onto the IBM computer if the CD has SLP (system lock preinstall) features.

Your best option is to acquire the correct Recovery CD from IBM.  As long as you backup and offload the data from the computer before running the Recovery CD, it's immaterial that the Recovery CD is only at SP1 level, as you can easily apply SP2 abd all subsequent Updates thru Windows Updates.

The original poster of this thread, TaninWulf, may be interested in the Omni-Tech CD.  Can you post a link to the eBay listing?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:59 AM
  • I have the unopened omni-tech CD, and was going to send it back, since it appears to not be at SP2.  It is 2002 level.

I paid $30 for it. 

Do you think one of these will recover mine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-XP-Pro-SP2-Win-XP-Professional-Original-CD-SP2_W0QQitemZ250133778881QQihZ015QQcategoryZ41888QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:47 AM
  • See previous post, and if that CD won't do repair, then what if I buy a retail copy of Windows XP PRO?   Can I use the COA for XP PRO on the bottom of her IBM notebook with it, etc.?  Then maybe return it.  We are getting desperate.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:09 AM
  • MS101jbw,

It is very difficult to clearly see the lettering on the picture of the CD. I cannot see anywhere where it says it is for an OnmiTech computer.  And I can barely make it out, but it looks like it says Service Pack 2 on the right side at the three o'clock position.  Since the description of the CD you posted does not match the picture, I cannot give you any "friendly advice" regarding the CD.

As I previously posted, IMO it is unlikely that an OmniTech CD (assuming it uses SLP) will consent to run Setup and install XP on your IBM computer once it looks for and discovers that the computer is not an OmniTech computer.

However, I have used Dell OS Reinstallation CDs on non-Dell computers to start the Windows XP Recovery Console (RC), from which you can run diagnostic and repair utilities such as Checkdisk.  So the disk you have may work to at least run the RC.  See this MS KB for info on the Windows Recovery Console:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/en-us

Have you check the support information for the IBM laptop to see if it has diagnostic programs available at startup?

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:21 PM
  • MS101jbw,

A retail CD for XP Pro will NOT accept the OEM Product Key on the IBM laptop's CoA.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Sorry, but  I was now talking about the one I might buy.  The one that the link points to is not Omni Tech.

Never mind it.  It seems that our original poster is not looking here any more.  I can return it for my money.

So, the CD in the link is supposed to be an OEM install CD, and not a recovery CD - since it says Microsoft, it would not

just be a recovery CD, right?  Previously in this thread you had mentioned some kind of OEM install CD, right?

Doesn't this look like one since it is Microsoft Hologram?  And wouldn't Includes SP2 mean it is integrated?

What do you think?  Or can I buy a Retail CD, but it would not accept the IBM key would it?  Or could I use Retail,

and change the keey back or something?  Anyway, what about the ebay CD at the link?  Thanks.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:47 PM
  • The guy  on ebay has this to say in response to my questions...  Does  this sound  like  what I need?

Yes these are full featured and will run the recovery. In my line of work that has never been the easiest, recovery console has seldom worked for me the way it should. I usually cut my losses and re-install. Yes this will reinstall at XP Pro with Service Pack 2. You don't need to run the update for Service Pack 2 but you need to run the updates anyway to get whatever came out after svc pack 2.

Please remember you must have a SP 2 key or you will have to call microsoft during your install.

David

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Ms101jbw,

From what I can make out, the CD in the link appears to be a Windows XP CD.  I cannot make out whether it is a retail CD or OEM, nor can I make out whether it's Home, Pro, or whatever. But it does seem to have Service Pack 2 on it.  And of course, it's impossible to tell if it is a genuine CD from a picture.

If this is a genuine systembuilder/OEM XP Pro CD, then this CD would work with the Product Key on the IBM laptop's CoA, assuming of course that the CoA and its Product Key are for XP Pro.

With this OEM CD, you would be able to start and run the computer using the Windows Recovery Console (which runs directly from the CD).

You would NOT be able to use a retail XP Pro CD to run Setup and use the OEM PK.

A retail CD for XP Pro may be able to run the limited commands within the Windows Recovery Console on a computer that has an OEM installation of XP Pro---I can't say for sure since I have never tried it.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Great News!  The CD appears to be full OEM XP PRO SP2 Microsoft Hologram.  No particular company name (other than Microsoft).  I was able to boot from it, and it loaded Windows.  I issued the R, and at a prompt, I entered CHKDSK and let it run.  I shutdown, and windows came up normal with the desktop picture that was there before the accident.  Seems to all be here.  The CD was on ebay, buy now was $34.99 plus $5.  probably worth every cent.  There are others up for auction, and he will take offers sometimes.   Thanks so much for you help!

Monday, June 25, 2007 12:41 AM
  • See my previous post.  Did you get your problem fixed?  You sure helped me!  Thanks!
    Monday, June 25, 2007 12:42 AM
  • One more question.  I have a full retail box Windows XP Home with SP2 with COA, never used, but the CD is scratched.  Can I use the COA code that came with the upgrade version with a full version CD if I can find one?   Or do I have to find an upgrade CD?  Thanks.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 12:57 AM
  •  TaninWulf wrote:

I decided last weekend to reinstall Windows due to some errors I was getting. I discovered my CD was missing - not surprising considering I bought this computer right when XP was new and have moved twice since then. A friend let me borrow his CD to install XP Pro again.

Great!

Help?

Monday, June 25, 2007 1:30 AM
  • So, what was your point karlos06?

By the way, I believe that I heard that you might can do a callin type activation.

Also, there is various key update software on ebay, and they surely can help you on this.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:18 AM
  • ms101jbw,

Please see this MS KB article:  How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Full licenses and upgrade licenses are sold in retail packaging, so the above article should help you get a replacement for the scratched CD for your full license and the missing CD for the upgrade license.  Remember, each of these four different types of licenses needs its own corresponding Product Key---mix-n-match won't work:  full retail; retail upgrade; systetembuilder and royalty OEM; volume. 

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:35 AM
  • This may be old news but Omnitech was actually bought out by Micron PC. This is the link to their support site. From there, you enter in your serial number (with OTC at the front) and the system information is displayed as is the SKU and the link to order the CD.

http://support.mpccorp.com/index.html

Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:49 PM