Questions regarding Potential Customer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1. We have made Customer (custom) entity in CRM 4.0. Now we want to have a "Potential Customer" in Opportunity entity from our custom entity.
    2. We want to change the Requirement Level of the Potential Customer attribute also.

I have checked that these two task could not be achieved in CRM 4.0 in a supported way. However, I want to have some possible workarounds to be discussed here for acheiving hte same.

Thank you.

Paradise lies at the feet of thy mother. - Prophet Mohammed (PBUH)
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:05 AM

Answers

• You can't change the behaviour of the existing 'Potential Customer' attribute; the Customer type is a special system attribute type that cannot be manipulated, supported or otherwise.

However, there is nothing preventing you from creating your own N:1 relationship between Opportunity and your custom Customer entity.  Once you've created such a relationship, a lookup attribute of type Customer will be created on the Opportunity entity; you can make that lookup attribute mandatory.

You cannot however, change the Requirement level of the existing 'Potential Customer' attribute as it is system required.

--pogo (pat)
    • Marked as answer by Khadim Ali Monday, February 7, 2011 11:40 AM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:46 AM

All replies

• You can't change the behaviour of the existing 'Potential Customer' attribute; the Customer type is a special system attribute type that cannot be manipulated, supported or otherwise.

However, there is nothing preventing you from creating your own N:1 relationship between Opportunity and your custom Customer entity.  Once you've created such a relationship, a lookup attribute of type Customer will be created on the Opportunity entity; you can make that lookup attribute mandatory.

You cannot however, change the Requirement level of the existing 'Potential Customer' attribute as it is system required.

--pogo (pat)
    • Marked as answer by Khadim Ali Monday, February 7, 2011 11:40 AM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Thanks pogo69 for your reply.

Friends, I want few more suggestions.

Actually we have Customers and customers have ivnestment accounts. Each customer can have more then 1 account. Now we realized that we should had to rename the account entity to customer and had to create new entity new_account for holding customer accounts. In that case we could take benefit of built-in flow. But.........

We have already created customer in new entity and have associated crm account entity as a child of that customer entity and have done enough work that we have to redo in case we swap the two entities.

So I am thinking something like this:

• Creating a new related attribute customer and link it with our custom customer entity.(As suggested by pogo69)
    • Hide Potential Customer using JavaScript with some default dummy account.

This way we can achieve both objectives as I posted in my opening post. But I am afraid If I can be struck of further anywhere due to this inappropriate use of entities.

What do you CRM developers say?

Paradise lies at the feet of thy mother. - Prophet Mohammed (PBUH)
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 7:58 AM