Sync CRM Appointments with Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I created a new entity for bookings and I would like this to link with Outlook so that when bookings are made they can sync with the Outlook calendar the same way when an appointment is created within CRM.

I have got CRM Client installed and it works fine, I am able to create appointments in CRM , view them in outlook and as well as delete them but I am not sure how i would go about doing the same for my Bookings entity.

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Many Thanks,

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:06 PM

All replies

• Short answer: you can't synchronise custom entities or indeed any entities other than the ones already used.

Longer answer: could you create a an Appointment programmatically to "mirror" the Booking record? You would need to keep those two records in synch for any changes made from either end and either client. Not trivial, but not really difficult.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Thanks for response, sorry for responding with a different account.

Bookings are created from the Bookings entity and the entity has extra fields that are not recorded/ available when creating an appointment programmatically in CRM. I am not sure how i would do that ?

Every day i learn something new.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Is there a solution to my problem? Thanks

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Why are there fields not available in the appointment? You can add extra fields to appointment if you need to and you can change the settings in the outlook client to use the CRM appointment form rather than the outlook form to allow you to see the in outlook. Please clarify your additional requirements and hopefully we can help.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:54 PM
  • To rephrase ..Not sure if I took the right approach in my design. I created a Booking entity to record Bookings becuase I wanted to add extra customizations and fields that are not on the appointment form like (look up to contacts etc). As far as i am aware, i cant customize the 'Appointment' form in CRM?

Having said that, i now want to link my Bookings entity with Outlook so that they sync. I would like it to function the same way as the 'Appointment' entity in CRM funtions when appointments are created.

I hope my explanation makes sense

Thanks

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:23 PM
  • 'bumping" your thread every few hours (or indeed after 14 minutes) won't get you an answer any faster.

You cannot synchronise custom entities using the standard CRM client. You might look into third party tools like Riva (I don't know if they do this either).

You are right, you maybe made the wrong design choice - you can customise Appointment to have additional fields and add these to the form. These fields will not synchronise to Outlook. Outlook does not know how to store them, so they cannot synch.

So users will see their Appointment in Outlook and they can click "View in CRM" to open the record there if they are connected, or choose to view the additional fields by clicking the buttons on the ribbon, but both of these actions require a live connection to CRM.

If you really need the data and the custom fields available offline, you will need to use the offline client and synch Appointments there (as well as to Outlook)

Hope this helps.
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:48 AM
  • You can, and should, customise the Appointment entity.

What is it that you cannot change there that you think you need to?

There are some fields that cannot be removed from the Appointment form as they are required in order for Outlook to understand them, but you can definitely add fields and custom relationships - I have done this in the past.

Hope this helps.
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:56 AM
  • In response to Adam Vero's second answer. I have mirrored the Booking Entity with the Appointment Entity programatically but the problem is that I cant keep the two in Sync (i.e.) when changes are made to the Booking entity, they should be applied to the Appointment Entity and as well as in sync with Outlook?

Help please?

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:33 AM