Any word on an update for OneCare and Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just been 'updated' by my office to Windows 7 and they backed up everything from my machine (previously Vista) using OneCare and now I am not able to restore from the back-up as it won't even download the program.  Any ideas?  Help please.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• One Care installation on Windows 7 will not be supported. To restore your files use a zip utility such as WinZip to extract the files and use HJ-Split to join any split files. HJ - Split - http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ Another option is to install One Care on a computer with a supported operating system, perform a custom restore to a folder on an external drive then then attach the external drive to the Windows 7 computer and drag and drop the files where needed.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Can I get a refund for the rest of my subscription period then?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:16 PM
  • I don't think a refund would be appropriate since One Care was not developed to be compatible with Windows 7 but you can contact support and inquire about a refund if you would like to. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:30 PM
  • a refund would not be appropriate? rationale being One Care was not "developed" to be compatible with Windows 7? and the consumers hand in this bit of logic or lack thereof is what exactly? i am "lucky" in that i'll only 2 months remaining on my subscription at the time of the windows 7 release. and i have already bought and paid for my upgrade to windows 7. it would seem something would have been done to make one care compatible with windows 7 or some effort would have been made to bring microsoft security essentials fully online at the time of the windows 7 release. if one care or another suitable ms security suite is not available with the windows 7 release, hopefully the compatibility issues that plagued vista release will not reoccur. too, i hope you can appreciate that while this in some way makes sense to you, this is no small frustration to the average consumer!
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:02 PM
  • dumbguy,

Though we won't know until it is actually released, I'd still be willing to bet that MSE will be available by the time Windows 7 is officially released to the public on October 22nd.

As for Windows 7 itself, most of the compatibility issues that affected Vista were related to drivers not being available from PC manufacturers or program updates from application vendors, many of which have already been resolved over the last couple years.  However, anyone unwilling to upgrade some of these applications can continue to create the same sort of issues for themselves, since some older software simply won't operate properly with a new more secure operating system and/or a few vendors might not ever make some older devices or applications compatible for their own reasons.

As for the original question of a refund, I've personally paid for a subscription through next April that I knew I'd never completely use.  Even though I knew this situation up front, it really doesn't bother me since the only reason I am forced to make a change is if I decide to upgrade to Windows 7.  This is no different than if I had disposed of the PC instead, in which case I wouldn't expect a refund either.  However, in my case I will simply be switching a PC with Vista to use MSE around the holidays, since that's a better time for me personally to make the change at a remote location and since MSE itself won't cost anything it really makes no difference.

From my point of view I'd only expect a refund if an existing PC I've been using OneCare with were no longer supported with its current operating system.  The EULA for OneCare has always quite clearly stated that Microsoft would not guarantee that a future operating system would be supported, or in fact that the OneCare service would be continued, but I'm quite certain that very few bothered to read it and simply accepted it as a legally binding agreement.

Rob

Monday, September 21, 2009 4:56 AM
  • rob,

thanks for your input. and ironic, i guess, in that i received notification as to the final release of mse just prior to you posting here. thereby validating your prediction before it was even made! how do you do that?

as for the eula, come on! you read all that? i thought it was just an inconsequential step in accessing something you want and/or need? one is actually supposed to spend time reading it? then remember it?

in view of these developments, my only other criticism at this point would be lack of information/notification regarding the development/final release of mse as related to the release of windows 7.  windows 7 being my only real experience on this count, with both the beta and release candidate, there was much info (as well as lengthy lead time) on both counts as to what one could expect. the mse beta, on the other had, was introduced...quietly then removed from putlic access seeminly within days of it's release. i even checked the mse home page as late as yesterday and found nothing new on the program's future not to mention any other online information.

i am pleased, i guess, to hear a final version of mse will be available...soon. more about the final release version would be...nice. that mse will be available near about coindent with the release of windows 7 would be, in a word, awesome! i can live with soft release date (choice?) but a bit more information a bit earlier in this whole process could have eased smoothed some unnecessarily ruffled customer feathers!
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:05 AM
  • I agree that it would be nice to have a more firm date on when MSE would be available, but the fact is that Microsoft (and most other software companies) are unable to provide a date until they are close to release. They have a target date, but if they announce that date and miss it, there would be much disappointment. A date can be missed for many reasons, not the least of which would be a major defect discovered during testing.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:12 PM
  • I'm clairvoyant...  Which actually means I'm just lucky of course ;>)

I have to admit I only read the full EULA and most of the Privacy and other related docs closely once, during the intial MSE beta release in late June.  I did this primarily because I knew that most others wouldn't and questions like these would eventually occur, though I was really preparing more for the complaints about SpyNet and other issues that some consider 'intrusions' on their privacy.  Unfortunately, if I actually read something carefully I can't forget it, so I'm very selective about what I read to save brain cells ;>)

Though as Steve already mentioned, more info earlier would be nice, both he and I are used to this not occuring at this point.  We just look for the most obvious signs of what might be reasonable target dates based on other already advertised but somewhat related release dates and also how well the beta itself has progressed.

Since MSE beta refresh has been fairly solid for most users and the major concern for most will be Windows 7, the likely attempt to beat or at least match the October 22nd public release date has seemed a fairly safe bet.  However, no one has told us this will happen nor have they or we promised it, it just seemed likely based on all the 'stars coming into alignment'.

The thing is that like usual only a small segment of the population is 'worried' about this since most users are happily oblivious.  This clearly places you in the 'planner' group like myself, but I've just learned to take things as they come and not create more worry for myself than is really necessary, since in the long run it won't change anything anyway.

Rob
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Wait a minute...this is the kind of corporate Mumbo Jumbo that gives Marketing people like me a bad name.

When you actively sold me OneCare, YOUR COMPANY told me that OneCare was the one service that would address all my security needs (it did not, I am loaded with malware) my home network sharing needs (it did not, it is very very flaky; it still won't see my printer across the room) and promised to back up my data, (a promise that I just found out is over now).

YOUR COMPANY is launching perhaps the biggest upgrade in its history! You might not have heard about it while reading the fine print of the EULA, but YOUR COMPANY is hoping for the entire world to upgrade to their new operating system, it's called WINDOWS 7!!!

When you SOLD US OneCare, YOUR COMPANY made a promise, that One Care was going to be the solution to all our computing needs, from backups to connectivity to security. What security do you offer when you don't even bother to tell customers who have PAID IN ADVANCE!!!!! that as of October 22nd you are changing the name of your service to NoCare (codenamed WeDon'tCare ).

When these same people purchase a family pack of Windows 7 and go to YOUR COMPANY's own "Compatibility Center" they find out that their Printer companies care enough to provide an upgrade path, that their keyboard companies and software companies care enough to provide an upgrade path. (Mind you these are companies that we don't have paid service contracts with. (My contract with YOUR COMPANY is paid in advance into the spring of next year!)

In marked contrast, YOUR COMPANY thought it would be a good idea to make me wait until I am sitting with the new software, ready to upgrade, for me to find out that not only doesn't YOUR COMPANY care enough to provide an upgrade path to YOUR COMPANY"S new operating system, You don't even care enough to INFORM YOUR PAID SUBSCRIBERS that the new operating system that you are paying hundreds of billions of dollars to SELL TO US will make it impossible for you to HONOR OUR LAST TRANSACTION!!! The one where you promised to Care for all our computing needs!!

I didn't subscribe to MSE, so waving around MSE as if it is meant to fufill the promise of OneCare is a feeble attempt at damage control made especially feeble by the fact it currently doesn't currently even EXIST!!

Apparently, you have had a corporate meeting with your lawyers, decided that the EULA protects you from little people like us, and you've made the calculation that the Return On Investment of giving refunds wasn't worth it, after all it is probably only a couple of hundred thousand people whom you''l be giving the shaft to, and half of them won't notice because the service doen't really do much except bug them about stuff they already know about. So rather than provide even the scantiest shred of customer service or human decency, YOUR COMPANY has decided to circle the wagons instead and now they've tasked you guys with faulting US for not reading every word of the EULA that YOUR COMPANY knows nobody reads.  This is why MONOPOLIES like YOUR COMPANY are bad for people like us.

Well, guess what? PEOPLE LIKE US are tired of companies like your company, and the corporate greed and lack of basic civility you display! Your products don't work, you don't keep your promises and you don't care. Well, I'm getting my money back for Windows 7 at least, and I'm going to move over to UNIX and OPERA, and GMAIL and instead of the new WinMO phone, I'm gonna get the Android DROID.

The way you operate flat out stinks. For too long now people like Bernie Madoff and companies like your company get to make promises break them and keep our money. But I for one don't think relying on public apathy and expecting us to be too stupid to act in our own interests is a sustainable business model. PEOPLE LIKE US are catching on... and I for one have had enough.

So long Microsoft...it's been anything but real.

Yours truly,

(look it up in your database)
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:57 PM
  • speedsync,

For almost a year now users of OneCare have been coming to these forums to ask about these changes, because Microsoft has been sending out multiple emails to the addresses registered in the Windows Live accounts required to have a subscription. 

Those of us answering here are not Microsoft Employees, we are just other customers like yourself.

If you'd spent 5 minutes looking here or simply asked, you'd have found that Microsoft Security Essentials is being provided to all Windows XP, Vista and 7 users for free, you simply need to download it and install.

Rob
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:26 PM
  • I didn't subscribe to MSE, so waving around MSE as if it is meant to fufill the promise of OneCare is a feeble attempt at damage control made especially feeble by the fact it currently doesn't currently even EXIST!!

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It has been available for several weeks.

told me that OneCare was the one service that would address all my security needs (it did not, I am loaded with malware) my home network sharing needs (it did not, it is very very flaky; it still won't see my printer across the room) and promised to back up my data, (a promise that I just found out is over now).

Active subscriptions will be fully supported for their term or the end of 2010, just not on Windows 7. I wish that Microsoft had not killed OneCare late last year, but they did.

See here for refund information:
    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/support/ocfaq.htm#Program

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Thank you, Stephen, for both your correction on MSE and the forward to refund info. I began only by being annoyed with Microsoft management and staff and would like to leave that way.

Friday, October 23, 2009 5:49 PM
  • You're welcome, speedsync. I understand your annoyance and hope that all works out for you. Yes, I deleted your other responses and also edited Rob's to remove some text. What I left of his response may still seem harsh, but I felt that it was valid in response to your original post, which was also quite harsh, and undertandably so, given your annoyance with the situation. If you reconsider giving up on Microsoft, you'll find that Windows 7 is a great operating system and that the free Microsoft Security Essentials is an excellent security package - I don't think you'll regret it.
    -steve 
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Hi Rob,

This is generally my problem with the MVP system. I think it is both inefficient and unfair in most instances, in that, Microsoft should have employees going out to bat for them... reason; employees will, or at least should have, better or more accurate information. For example, the date today is 16 November 2009, the place is South Africa, where my computer runs XP SP3. Yet, when I click on the link to "Get MSE" on the Microsoft site, it says "not available to your country". In our country we have an Afrikaans word "Voetsek". It means go to ____!. This is how I felt when I saw this message.

So your info is inaccurate.

And, you're an MVP. Do you feel anything regarding my pain? Of course not... you're not a Microsoft employee. Sad situation.

Claude.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Hi Rob,

This is generally my problem with the MVP system. I think it is both inefficient and unfair in most instances, in that, Microsoft should have employees going out to bat for them... reason; employees will, or at least should have, better or more accurate information. For example, the date today is 16 November 2009, the place is South Africa, where my computer runs XP SP3. Yet, when I click on the link to "Get MSE" on the Microsoft site, it says "not available to your country". In our country we have an Afrikaans word "Voetsek". It means go to ____!. This is how I felt when I saw this message.

So your info is inaccurate.

And, you're an MVP. Do you feel anything regarding my pain? Of course not... you're not a Microsoft employee. Sad situation.

Claude.

MSE can be installed on your PC, but you need to be running a supported language or install the English version. I won't, however, advise you how to circumvent the availability at this point. It will be released to more regions over time.
    OneCare was never avalable in South Africa for reasons unknown to me.
    As for the MVP system, we are recognized for our contributions to community. We are not required to do anything at all, nor is community involvement a guarantee of being recognized. It involves a nomination and review process before the award is bestowed on someone. And that process is annual.
    There are Microsoft employees in the forums and other discussion groups. However, for "official" communication, you should not be looking in the forums, but should use the support mechanisms in place.
    -steve
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:15 PM
  • I'm locking this thread as it contains old information.

The Windows Live OneCare Restore tool is available - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/e5d686c8-762b-4b22-bc08-bfb93f911e57

Refunds are available for qualifying subscribers - more info here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/0000c782-ed1b-4ed3-8afb-87989bb9638c

-steve
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:18 PM