After the installation of OCS I am not able to invite third person in my IM conferencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

After the installation of OCS I am not able to invite third person in my IM conferencing

Scenario:
    Everything is fine. then i try to invite another Person (Ocs User)

I got the following Message

Cannot perform the selected action. The action may not be permitted by the conferencing service. Please Try again. If the problem persists, please contact your system administrator 

Can you Help me please?

Thanks
    Leng

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi.

If it is an audio and video conferencing you may need to set the global meeting policy to High, so that multiparty audio and video is allowed. I believe the default policy don't allow for multiparty. This is where you configure it
    1. Log on to an Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition server or a server with Office Communications Server 2007 R2 installed as a member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group or a group with equivalent user rights.

2. Open the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 snap-in.

3. In the console tree, right-click the forest node, click Properties, and then click Global Properties.

4. Click the Meetings tab.

5. If an appropriate global meeting policy has not been assigned, you can configure one as follows:

• Under Policy Settings, in the Global policy drop-down list box, click the name of the policy that you want to use for meetings.
      • To view or modify a policy, under Policy definition, click the name of the policy, click Edit, modify the policy, as appropriate, and then click OK

Ståle Hansen
    MCITP EMA, MCTS OCS 2007
    http://msunified.net /about

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:47 AM
  • In a basic OCS deployment with the Default Policy still in use you should be able to (I just confirmed in a test lab) have multi-party IM conversations right out of the box.  Because the conversation changes from peer-to-peer to using the MCU first check that all conferencing roles are running on the Front-End server.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:07 PM
  • I've also just installed a new deployment (enterprise consolidated) and am running into IM Conferencing issues.  However, I am receiving different results.  Has anyone seen this error before?

A SIP request made by Communicator failed in an unexpected manner (status code 80ef01f8)

I also receive a 504 Server time-out error.

Do I need to enable anything that is not enabled by default or did I miss something on the install?  This is a internal only solution currently.

Many Thanks!
    Alan

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:34 PM
  • I get exactly the same with OCS Standard R2 consolidated, cant find reason why or port blocking etc with clients. Peer to peer for all services is fine, multi party no - I've even changed the meeting policy at Global level to completely open one but no change.

Is this a bug in R2?
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Which OS are you running on the server? 2008? 2008 R2?

If 2008 R2, it is not supported and in a previous post here on the forums it was the root cause of this same issue.

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | WinXnet Inc
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:49 AM
  • That's the odd part, I'm on Server 2008 Standard v6.0 SP2 without hyper-v.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Can you verify you can contact the front end server from each of the clients.

CHeck to see if its something like windows firewall or anti virus blocking connections to the front end as well.

Is the cert being used on the front end public or private?

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | WinXnet Inc
    Monday, September 21, 2009 11:35 AM
  • Hey Randy,

Strange, I replied to this yesterday but now its gone, ah well...

Yes, can telnet from clients to OCS server front end with correct ports, response can be a little slow but it works, also had comms do logging of the root and no issues there also.

Windows client firewall is disabled, could be an AV issue but we're using Sophos which tends not to be a problem unlike McAfee.

The cert on front end if private CA for the domain, which is single domain for OCS servers and all clients.

I've ran MS network diagnostics from my laptop during the multi IM and comms guys are now reviewing the results, will see what traffic is attempting to go where. One thing we do have is all IM users connect in as if they're remote because we only use the sip.domain.com srv (problems with MACs resulted in the internal srv being removed) - I cant see this being a problem as such though as we are on different subnets, routing through Edge servers works properly.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:37 AM
  • If you enable tracing in commuicator. Under Options->General. There should be a log file created in C:\users\username\tracing called communicator-uccapi-0.uccapilog

If you could try to start an IM Conference in communicator with that enabled, and then ZIP that file up and email it to me I could try to see if something sticks out in the sip traces.

my email is rwintle@winxnet.com

Thanks.

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Thanks everyone, this appeared to be some unopened ports that caused my problem.  Thankfully, it's all resolved now.  I appreciate the assistance.

Alan
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Hi Alan,

could you please post some details like... which ports and where.... on client or server??? having same issue in IM and A/V conferencing. Not even able to start service.

we have edge and enterprise 2007 R2 OCS roles in our environment.... every thing works fine just having issues with conferencing features.

Salman

Monday, October 5, 2009 10:35 AM
  • Hi Salman,

Our fix was to open a few additional ports.  We opened the following:

Edge Service - 443 and 5061
    Web Service - 443
    A/V Service - 443 and 3487

We have all three services running on two load balanced Edge Servers.  These are required to be open externally.  If you want file transfer, that will be an additional 10 ports that we decided not to open.

I hope this helps!
    Alan
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Hi Alan,

In our scenario IM conferencing only works after deactivate and Activate IMMCU again with LCSCmd.exe command line tool... what a handy tool for OCS techies...!

thanks anyway

-Salman
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:50 AM