M3N78-EMH HDMI for WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi folks

I wanted your opinion on this new board from asus M3N78-EMH HDMI to use with my future WHS.

Does any of you have this board working with WHS, do the drivers work ok, any adicional comments?

I'm thinking about this board, because it's cheap, comes with an internal gpu and 6 sata connector and all in a mini-atx format. It also uses less power than other boards with external gpu.

I want to uses this board with the new amd x2 4850 cpu for a balance between performance and energy consumption.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:56 PM

All replies

• The first thing to do, is check that all the drivers you will need, SATA, NIC, etc., are Server 2003 versions. WHS is based on S2k3, so, for a stable base, you really should be considering things like drivers before number of ports etc.

Colin

Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I've succesfully installed WHS on this motherboard.  Using it with a 2 x 1TB SATA drives and the same processor (Athlonx2 4850e) that you elluded to above.  WHS went on fine, some drivers weren't installed automatically - the main problem one being the ethernet one so couldn't immediately activate WHS, update WHS etc.

ASUS currently don't have any drivers listed specififcally for Win Server 2003 on their website.  Therefore, installed the WinXP drivers from the motherboard's accompanying CD going through My Computer etc.  Letting WHS automatically select the driver worked for all missing drivers bar the ethernet one.  Automatic selection for the ethernet driver chose the Vista 32x driver but that didn't install correctly so I manually installed the WinXP 32x driver and all has worked fantastically since.

Hope this helps,

Yakelaen

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Hello Yakelaen

Thanks for your post.

I just wanted to ask you what are your normal transfer rate while transferring files to the whs shares.

In my current config i have 3 harddrives, one of them is usb 2.0 and i get a transfer rate from vista x86 to WHS pp1 beta of 4mb/s or even less. My hard drives are ide 133 and its only a P3 1gb with 1gb ram.

I have dupplication on for all shares and that is known to slow transfer rate a bit.

If you could confirm your transfers rates it would be great.

And by the way the pp1 rtm is available for download from microsoft center. Smile

Thanks,

Ric

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:22 AM
  • Hi Ric,

Since my previous email I've had a bit of trouble with the onboard LAN.  When backing up of one of my desktops (Around 180GB of data cumulative from 6 partitions) the backup kept failing at around 50% saying that the server was no longer connected.  Checked all was ok with my desktop, when checking the server directly (not through console or RDC as could no longer connect) all looked ok with ipconfig but I couldn't ping anything on my LAN.  The only way I could regain network access was by rebooting my WHS.

I tried loading the latest nforce drivers but the problem still occurred.  Had a look in the error logs but couldn't see anything that helped so never actually found out what was causing my onboard LAN to essentially freeze.  Earlier on I had done a transfer of 75GB of data from the same computer with no probs so I was a bit perplexed by it all.

In addition, shortly after the backups failed I could no longer connect to my WHS through console (kept saying password was incorrect) or RDC on either of my computers although they could see and access their respetive WHS shares without any probs.  Decided to reinstall WHS (following other people's problems with Net Framework 3 and Services 6, both of which were installed) as I'd only had it set up for a week, and had also just installed PP1 RTM but realise that this may have been a problem with the number of incorrect password attempts etc.  

Following the reinstall, I downloaded all the WHS critical updates (but not PP1), installed them and then tried again to back up the desktop, which failed again with the same problem.  As there are no specific Win 2003 drivers for the nforce LAN on the m/board I decided to install a spare D-Link PCI Gigabit ethernet card, Model No: DGE-528T, which is the same card as those installed in my desktops.  Since then the backup has worked fine.

Have the desktops and WHS connected to Netgear Prosafe GS116 switch.  Regarding transfer rates I only have the info displayed in Windows Task Manager to go on at the mo as I'm currently running initial backups of my computers.  Task manager is showing that there's sustained 10% activity (i.e. 100Mbps) on both the desktop and the WHS.  Not getting close to 1 Gbps as only have Cat5 cabling connecting everything.  Got some Cat 6 cabling on order so will post back once this is in use.  Also, currently have jumbo frames disabled on the ethernet cards.  Will also post back once I'm doing some simple file transfers to give you a better idea of the Mbps I'm achieving with the current setup and also if reinstalling PP1 causes any differences.

Hope this helps,

Yakelean

=======

WHS Server specs

Athlon64 X2 4850e

2GB PC800 ECC RAM

Asus M3N78-EMH HDMI m/board

2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint (32MB cache) SATA II

Folder dupication on

Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:54 PM