Microsoft Project has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I have one project (out of hundreds) that always crashes when scrolling on the "Resource Usage" view. I have had multiple users on multiple machines try this project, all with the same result. We are using Project Professional/Server 2013. Any suggestions for ways around this would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:32 PM

Answers

• Based on the fact that this replicates for multiple users, the project record, itself, is the likely suspect. Perhaps some corruption?

Try this, Use Save for Sharing to save the project to your desktop and see if the behavior continues. If not, then the problem is likely corruption in the binary record. If so, delete the project from Project Server and import the mpp file that you saved to the desktop.

Note, use SAVE FOR SHARING, not Save As

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

• Marked as answer by srampf Monday, April 18, 2016 3:45 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 12:16 PM

All replies

• I don't know will work for you or not, but at least you can give it a try. Try to delete cache from MS Project or before doing that check it's status, may be you'll find something there. Secondly check if you have enough RAM may be the project is loading a lot of data into RAM.

HTH

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:50 AM
  • Based on the fact that this replicates for multiple users, the project record, itself, is the likely suspect. Perhaps some corruption?

Try this, Use Save for Sharing to save the project to your desktop and see if the behavior continues. If not, then the problem is likely corruption in the binary record. If so, delete the project from Project Server and import the mpp file that you saved to the desktop.

Note, use SAVE FOR SHARING, not Save As

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

• Marked as answer by srampf Monday, April 18, 2016 3:45 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 12:16 PM
  • Thank you for the response. I tried 'save for sharing' and the behavior does not continue.

My follow up question is that I don't own or manage this project, and there are about 100 users assigned to it. For the owner to be able to continue to manage the project, you are saying I should import this saved for sharing file? I just want to make sure I understand correctly because we have some reporting implications when importing mmp files. I'm also curious the difference between 'save as' and 'save for sharing'. I typically save as when exporting and importing mmp files but perhaps I have been doing it wrong. 

Thank you!

• Edited by srampf Monday, April 18, 2016 3:46 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 3:45 PM