have a strange occurence reported to me RRS feed

• Question

• Ok get a email from friend of mine saying i sent them a few emails that were' virus laden'.   He forwarded these emails to me and i found that they were sent from an email address i have not used since december. the emails he received were dated doomsday the april first.  the email address that these were sent from is my yahoo messenger addy also.  now the strange thing is, i did send a email to about 40 friends,on MARCH 24TH,  THE SAME PEOPLE on the tainted emails, FROM MY EMAIL ADDRESS that i use daily. my friend also says that he received some 'virus suspicious' instant messages from me also.   Is windows live care missing a virus i have in my computer?  do i need to uninstall messenger, get a new email address or what? How does one email sent from one email address, end up a few weeks later going out with links on it that may be virus laden?

I need help, and dont' understand what is going on in my computer. I have all original emails and the ones sent by my friend back to me.

Monday, April 13, 2009 5:42 AM

Answers

• If they are coming from an email address that you are no longer using, it is more than likely that someone is spoofing your address to send the messages. It is also possible that one of the other recipients of your email message of the 24th is infected and that the messages originate from their system sending to all email addresses in their address book and contained within emails that they have received.
    If you believe that your PC may be infected and OneCare has not prevented or found the infection, plesae contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:43 PM