I get 'contact your administrator for more information about the error message' - I am the administrator... RRS feed

• Question

• ... and I am not sure where I am supposed to look up these error messages beyond the server logs.

I am running a Project Server/TFS 2010 Pilot at my company. We aren't investing in trained Administrators until we can determine if the day-to-day use of the tools will be a viable solution.

In the meantime however I am in the postion to research error messages such as below - and would love it if there was some reference guide beyond looking through the event logs on the servers (they aren't much help either) - any ideas?

General
    CBS message processor failed:
    CBSMetadataProcessingFailure (17005) - InitCustomFieldDimensions cannot process the Project custom field 'Expedia Program'. Details: id='17005' name='CBSMetadataProcessingFailure' uid='1b4f4ab5-eb9c-4ced-8e13-6dc1948b0cb1' QueueMessageBody='Setting UID=2976440d-02d3-44e6-9d9c-97017d642b98 ASServerName=chelt2sql01 ASDBName=PSCube2010 ASExtraNetAddress= RangeChoice=0 PastNum=1 PastUnit=0 NextNum=1 NextUnit=0 FromDate=05/13/2010 00:00:00 ToDate=05/13/2010 00:00:00 HighPriority=True' Error='InitCustomFieldDimensions cannot process the Project custom field 'Expedia Program''.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - CBSRequest.CBSQueueMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='375b81df-dd58-4246-b43e-1be74b535558' JobUID='c3eff489-4c8f-44e7-852f-c35d4229bfd4' ComputerName='CHELT2WEB01' GroupType='CBSRequest' MessageType='CBSQueueMessage' MessageId='2' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine CHELT2WEB01 for entries with JobUID c3eff489-4c8f-44e7-852f-c35d4229bfd4.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:31 AM

Answers

• Any chance this was single value custom field that was converted to a multi-value custom field?  I can't think of why this wouldn't process.  It would also be helpful to know how that field is defined.

Otherwise, I would take Ben's advice, assuming you aren't doing any reporting on this from OLAP.

Thanks!

Treb Gatte

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:45 PM

All replies

• I notice you have a custom field with a space in it 'Expedia Program'. Have you tried renaming the custom field to remove the space and see if that works? There have been problems in the past with spaces in the names.
    Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Good eye Alexander!

Just to take Alexander solution a little further.  I would delete the custom field and see if problem goes away.  The configuration of the custom field could also have an impact.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Rather than delete the field, how about just removing it from the cube.  BTW, I've never had an issue with spaces in custome fields with cube builds...
    Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Any chance this was single value custom field that was converted to a multi-value custom field?  I can't think of why this wouldn't process.  It would also be helpful to know how that field is defined.

Otherwise, I would take Ben's advice, assuming you aren't doing any reporting on this from OLAP.

Thanks!

Treb Gatte

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Hmmm... all interesting observations considering I have no experience or current use for the OLAP cubes. We may end up doing reporting toward the end of the Pilot and this field would be critical pivot data.

I haven't seen these error before and yes, it had originally been a single value and was converted recently to a hierarchy (And we are still making changes).

In this case, should I simply rebuild the cube after the changes are complete?

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:16 AM