With OneCare installed my computer will not power down! RRS feed

• Question

• With OneCare installed, my computer will not power down!  How do I know that OneCare is responsible?  Because when it is uninstalled the computer will shutdown.  Where it gets stuck is at the 'Windows is shutting down' screen after the one that says it is saving my settings.  Now previously I have been able to get away with running a batch script that terminates all OneCare processes and forces a shutdown of the system.  But something has changed (since last week)... perhaps from a recent update.  Now, not only will the computer not shutdown normally but the shutdown script is no longer working.  I can't hold the power button in for seven seconds either to force power down because the sudden loss of power screws up my hard drive and I have to run chkdsk to get it running again.  So the solution:  hit the reset button (this keeps the hard drive whirling), hit F8, select "Safe Mode" then in the select user screen select 'Shutdown computer'.  Well... that's like a five minute solution... to shutdown my computer... every time.  Any suggestions?
    • Edited by jeffa2008 Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:16 AM edited out an error
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Perhaps this issue is related to the computer freezing issue in your other post. I suggest contacting support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:41 AM
  • I contacted support when the initial power-down problem manifested months ago.  Support had me uninstall (had to jump through hoops to do that) then reinstall OneCare.  The issue did not go away so I turned to the shutdown script which worked well... until last week... something happened.  The issue is beyond what Support has to offer.  There is probably a conflict with the computer's software or hardware and OneCare which seems unique to my system since I have not found anyone, in this forum or elsewhere, with a similar issue.  I hope some tech guru here can offer a fix.  How is it that OneCare interferes with a shutdown script?  I notice that when the process "MsMpEng.exe" is terminated in Task Manager it comes back to life.  If there is a way to stop its resurrection perhaps the system will shut down. 
    • Edited by jeffa2008 Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:58 PM minor edit
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Try excluding the shutdown script from being scanned by the Virus and Spyware protection. Open OneCare and click change settings. Virus and Spyware tab, exclusions.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:22 PM