WHS 2011 Connector won't install - UPnP Disabled RRS feed

• Question

• The WHS 2011 Connector will not install on my Win 7 64-bit OS.  I get through the interview screens, then the install fails with a message that says "The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error."  I've chased this down to UPnP not being enabled.  Specifically, the "SSDP Discovery" service (SSDPSRV) is disabled on my laptop and my ability to control this service has been disabled by my corporate IT department, so I can't start it.

Is there a way to complete the connector installation without the use of UPnP?

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:42 PM

All replies

• Any help out there?
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Unlikely if your laptop is locked down by your IT Department - they do it for a reason.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Is there a way to complete the connector installation without the use of UPnP?

No. SSDP is used during installation to find your server and help configure your client. It's mandatory, unless Microsoft chooses to create a version of the connector that doesn't use UPnP during setup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 17, 2011 2:05 PM
  • So, although my TP-Link router which has UPNP and works with all other software I use that uses UPNP, fails with Microsofts idea of UPNP. This is not the first time MS UPNP has failed to recognise routers. Surprisingly, I see that very few routers with UPNP are supported. Trying to install Connector fails on all my Win7 PC's and even the special version downloaded from MS support fails.   Connector starts to install, then rolls back and ends up with that famous error message, to see your network administrator. very useful...
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:34 AM