MSDN Vista Ultimate Unvalidated itself RRS feed

• Question

• Going back to XP is looking better and better.  What next, all of our Enterprise versions unvalidating themselves ?  As if the slow network file transfer problems, which have yet to be addressed, weren't enough - now this.

Yes, the phone call worked but c'mon !  An MSDN subscription copy getting unvalidated ?  And it all started while trying to get a codec FROM Microsoft for Media Player 11 !
    Friday, July 6, 2007 12:01 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the confusion ... Vista is currently activated again.  It initially activated fine during install and ran fine for a few of months.  When trying to update a codec in WMP11 it deactivated itself.  I ended up having to call in and talk to that "computer lady" to get a new reactivation code to type in.  So far it hasn't happened again like others are reporting.  I can only hope and pray that it doesn't happen to our Vista Enterprise machines after we run an update or similar.
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 12:18 AM

All replies

• What is your question or issue regarding WGA?
    Friday, July 6, 2007 1:13 AM
  • The statement was in the subject - MSDN Vista Ultimate Unvalidated itself. I guess the question is WHY did it happen, especially with an MSDN version, and when it was media player that wanted to verify validation.

1. Went to launch a link using media player
    2. It wanted to get a codec from MS
    3. It wanted to verify authenticity of the OS
    4. Failed validation

After a phone call ... *poof* I'm valid again. The whole idea of this going on with any of the problems mentioned is ridiculous with MS products, but also other manufacturers software invalidating Windows as being genuine ?

Edit:  I'm afraid of this happening to our 5,000+ user-base on our Enterprise edition we're running.  If it does happen I hope there's a blanket fix to cover enterprise volume licenses ... 5,000 phone calls isn't going to happen.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Your message is unclear.  Are you referring to aWindows Vista  Product Activation issue or a Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) validation issue?
    Friday, July 6, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Sorry for the confusion ... Vista is currently activated again.  It initially activated fine during install and ran fine for a few of months.  When trying to update a codec in WMP11 it deactivated itself.  I ended up having to call in and talk to that "computer lady" to get a new reactivation code to type in.  So far it hasn't happened again like others are reporting.  I can only hope and pray that it doesn't happen to our Vista Enterprise machines after we run an update or similar.
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 12:18 AM