Upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 to Improve Speed with Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Would upgrading from CRM 3.0 to 4.0 allow for measurable improvement in speed while running and syncing with Outlook? If not, what would be your best recommendation(s) for improving overall speed when using CRM and outlook client?

We are a small company with only a few active CRM users who each track around 10-20 emails daily, running on SQL 2005.

Sorry if this is a newbie question. I am not entirely familiar with the technical aspects of CRM. Thank you very much in advance.

Vivian

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:02 PM

All replies

• There are significant CRM Outlook Client improvements in CRM 4 with the latest Upgrades.  Having said that, if your network, hardware, database, etc. are at the root of the issue, then you'll need to address those issues as well. 

I encourage you to go through the upgrade if you don't have anything limiting your ability to upgrade like porting over customization, etc.

Regards, Donna

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Hi Vivian,

Troubleshooting performance can be challenging and upgrading CRM 3.0 to 4.0 is not a minor undertaking. If your only goal was to improve Outlook performance, this would be like replacing your car because your windshield wipers don't work. Luckily, there are many compelling reasons to upgrade to CRM 4.0. You'll need to decide if it's a good fit, generally.

That said, all other things being equal, my experience has been that the CRM 4.0 Outlook Client is much faster than the CRM 3.0 Outlook Client, especially if you install the latest rollup updates for the client. But if your client computer is under-powered (i.e. less that two gigs of RAM) then it will continue to be pretty slow after the upgrade.

Others in the forum may be able to give more detailed input.

Best of luck,

Phil

Phil Edry – Altriva Solutions – http://www.altriva.com/AltrivaBlog.aspx
    Monday, August 30, 2010 8:11 PM