none
What are the differences between the different main forum URLs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

It has probably been answered several times, but I cant seem to find any information about it.

What are the difference between forums.microsoft.com/msdn and forums.msdn.microsoft.com? I mean, I know they arent the same, but there seems to be many overlapping forums, but on the other hand there are many forums that are unique to each  site.

Whats the general design idea?

--
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, November 29, 2008 7:37 PM Subject changed. I hope it reflects more the question.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:43 PM

Answers

• The first thing is that you are probably talking about the old forums as those had that kind of name. This feedback forum is for the software behind the new forums. The old forums are all being moved across to the new forums before being abandoned so no-one is asking for suggestions on them

But the same question applies to the new forums too.

So I'll give a shot at answering it.

In the new forums there are at least three different main addresses of which two are the most important.

These are

social.msdn.microsoft.com

social.technet.microsoft.com

social.microsoft.com

Ignoring the third one - which seems to be only for a very limited set of (semi-internal MS) forums which mostly seem to be included in the other two sets - and looking at the first two.

These contain different sets of forums with however some forum groups included in both of them.

This "Using Forums" set for instance is in both of them    (with identical content)

The SharePoint Groups are for instance in both of them.  (with identical content)

But for instance the Forefront group of forums are only in Technet and Visual C## (and other language forums) are only in the msdn set.

Apart from the forums that appear in both, these two different (TechNet/MSDN) sets of forums are completely separated from each other.

So, for instance, if I am in a SharePoint forum in the TechNet set and there's a post about Visual C## that's been posted there by mistake, I can't move it to a Visual C## forum. To do that I need to go to the same SharePoint forum in the msdn set and then I *can* move that post to a Visual C## forum.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Werner Clausen Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:42 PM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 7:37 PM

All replies

• The first thing is that you are probably talking about the old forums as those had that kind of name. This feedback forum is for the software behind the new forums. The old forums are all being moved across to the new forums before being abandoned so no-one is asking for suggestions on them

But the same question applies to the new forums too.

So I'll give a shot at answering it.

In the new forums there are at least three different main addresses of which two are the most important.

These are

social.msdn.microsoft.com

social.technet.microsoft.com

social.microsoft.com

Ignoring the third one - which seems to be only for a very limited set of (semi-internal MS) forums which mostly seem to be included in the other two sets - and looking at the first two.

These contain different sets of forums with however some forum groups included in both of them.

This "Using Forums" set for instance is in both of them    (with identical content)

The SharePoint Groups are for instance in both of them.  (with identical content)

But for instance the Forefront group of forums are only in Technet and Visual C## (and other language forums) are only in the msdn set.

Apart from the forums that appear in both, these two different (TechNet/MSDN) sets of forums are completely separated from each other.

So, for instance, if I am in a SharePoint forum in the TechNet set and there's a post about Visual C## that's been posted there by mistake, I can't move it to a Visual C## forum. To do that I need to go to the same SharePoint forum in the msdn set and then I *can* move that post to a Visual C## forum.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Werner Clausen Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:42 PM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 7:37 PM
  • Thanks for clarification...

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:42 PM