Unable to backup RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone
     my sever has failed to back up three times now first was over night it was set to backup at 12.00 , and after reading through the forum i thought it could be because of the time set. manual backup first thing did not complete, after again reading through forums turned off firewall ,  3rd manual back up and i have this error

Protocol violation
    EndFileRecordHash response
    BackUpClusterData

any ideas
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:24 AM

Answers

• You should report that as a bug on Connect. Be sure to generate/send TalQ logs from both the failing client and the server, and include the CAB numbers in your bug report.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:01 PM
  • After searching the forums i finally found the answer posted by Joel Burt on this thread.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1382695&SiteID=50

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:10 AM

All replies

• You should report that as a bug on Connect. Be sure to generate/send TalQ logs from both the failing client and the server, and include the CAB numbers in your bug report.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:01 PM
  • thanks i will do that
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:00 PM
  •  So after a week of using the server  and not having one backup work at all, i thought i would reinstall my software. So I reinstalled whs, and then the client pc hp7635uk running wmc. set up backups to work through the night, 2am start. And this morning the same problem, tried a manual backup yet again a failure, here's what it says

Protocol Violation

(invalid)

AwaitingEndBackupRequest.

I have the server and pc connected through a netgear  DG834gt router, router is192.168.0.1, pc is192.168.0.2 server is 192.168.0.3.

question is am i overlooking something really stupid ?

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:04 AM
  • Not related to WHS, but I use a DG834 router, and a couple of years ago had occasional network problems between PCs, as if the switch built into the netgear has problems.

I ended up buying a separate ethernet switch, connecting all my PCs to that, and then  a single connection into the DG834. I still use the DG834 as a DHCP server, and all has been fine.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:55 AM
  •    well after reinstalling both the client software  windows xp mce and the server software, and still not being able to back up. i borrowed a network switch from work, not really knowing anything about switches i just plugged everything in (3com officeconnect dual speed hub 8) the error iam now getting is "TCP connection between client and server lost"

any ideas? as it would be nice to try out the backup part of the server, i've not had any problems with any other part of the server (yet) just the backup part.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:04 PM
  • after setting auto backup last night, with the switch in place, the backup again failed with the same thing...

"Protocol Violation (invalid) AwaitingEndBackupRequest" , so this morning i disconnected the router before going to work so the machines were on the switch by themselves again same failure.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Try changing you "backup window" time so it starts after 1am and ends before 11pm. I was told there is an issue  with backup  working over  midnight -1am time. I was having similar issues until I changed my backup window to not cover that time period. Now my automatic backups work!
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:46 PM
  • hi Vsawler, ive got it starting its backup at 1.00am, but will try a later time.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:50 PM
  • well tried a different time to no avail, still no backup and still the same error code. everything else seems to work ok just dumped 50gb of video files on it and will move them all around tomorrow.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 9:58 PM
  • After having no luck at all with backing up my client pc, I upgraded this weekend to vista hp, and it backs up, I first did an manual backup and that was fine and last night it did its full auto backup. Great, now the only thing is the whs connect icon on the client pc is stuck on blue and says "backup in progress(100% done)" is there a fix? or is this another bug. Ive looked on the forum and used search, as Iam sure I can remember someone else with but I cant find it. Any solutions for this? Please.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:39 AM
  • After searching the forums i finally found the answer posted by Joel Burt on this thread.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1382695&SiteID=50

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:10 AM