Anyone working on a PeerGuardian2 Add-In??? RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone thought about working on a PeerGuardian2 add-in, or an add-in with similar functionality?  Thanks to the thread here, and the various guides on the web, I got uTorrent running on my WHS box, but I just don't feel good about running torrents without my PeerGuardian security blanket.  Anyone thought about coming up with an add-in, or alternatively a tutorial for installing and configuring PeerGuardian under WHS?

Sunday, May 4, 2008 5:57 PM

Answers

• Install PG2 as a service,

This guide shows you how: Link

Not as simple as add-in but you need only do it once

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:49 PM

All replies

• I'd be very interested in this too.  I'm planning to buy Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit to replace my xp pro but Vista doesn't support peerguardian at the moment.  Maybe we should go to the peer guardian forums and make a post?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Install PG2 as a service,

This guide shows you how: Link

Not as simple as add-in but you need only do it once

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Great works perfectly.  Woudl still be nice to have an add-in if an enterprising programmer wants to develop it.  Thanks almonde.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Oh and for anyone following along at home, if you do this and you installed utorrent based on the online tutorials, don't forget to install PG2 and the service under the username you created specifically for services.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:43 PM
  •  

I know that there is an issue with utorrent writing to the server through the network.  Am I right to assume that this corruption issue doesn't apply to programs being run on the home server?  Just curious if it's completely safe to run utorrent and peerguardian off the home server.  Smile

Oh to add to this, has anyone run into issues with some of the automatic lists blocking local IP addresses?  It may be a good idea to allow your internet network (in my case 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255) by placing them on the allowed list.  It would suck to lock yourself out of your home server.  I would assume that this is possible depending on what kind of custom lists you place into peer guardian without first scanning through the list.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:28 AM
  • You set the active download folder for utorrent to be in the root of the D: drive, not in one of the shares.  Apparently the corruption issues does not affect files in the root of D.

I havent had any issues with blocking access to the console.  I was even able to log in remotely from work this evening.
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 6:49 AM
  • Sorry for so many questions.  Is there a way to automatically transfer files from the root to the share folders after a download is complete?
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:26 PM
  • yeah, you create a "completed downloads" folder in the share folders and there is a setting in utorrent to move completed files.  You point it there.
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:02 PM