Problem installing connector on Windows Server 2008 domain connected computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had nearly the same problem here as well: I was running a Windows Server 2008 Domain with my vista client as a domain pc. I was not able to install the Server-Connector at all. Just removed the PC from the Domain so it is a stand alone PC and everything works fine.

From my point of view it looks like that there is a limitation on client side. He is only able to join exactly one domain or one workgroup. A mixed setup could be a problem for security and configuration reasons (I think about policies and such stuff).

Kind regards from germany!
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:14 PM

All replies

• I had nearly the same problem here as well: I was running a Windows Server 2008 Domain with my vista client as a domain pc. I was not able to install the Server-Connector at all. Just removed the PC from the Domain so it is a stand alone PC and everything works fine.

From my point of view it looks like that there is a limitation on client side. He is only able to join exactly one domain or one workgroup. A mixed setup could be a problem for security and configuration reasons (I think about policies and such stuff).
    Windows Home Server doesn't require PCs to be in any particular workgroup or domain to connect with the server. Network browsing is more convenient if all computers are in the same domain/workgroup, but that's primarily a cosmetic issue.

If you were unable to install the connector while the PC was joined to the domain, but were able to after removing it from the domain, I would think that there's a domain policy in effect that blocked the connector installation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:18 PM
  • The WHS client was installed on the laptop when it was away from the domain but still a domain member.  I have double checked that the username and password are the same.

What is confusing me is that the laptop connects using the client without a problem and the backup runs on a daily basis also without a problem.

What would stop the laptop from accessing shares on WHS?  Could it be something to do with Vista?

I'm toying with loading up a WHS box and trying to replicate the problem but i'm hoping that i can get some help here first.

Thanks
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:34 PM
  • I've split this to a separate thread; DerSkuggan's question is likely unrelated to yours...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:38 PM