Cannot get Web Role to enable client side editing tools. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fully working Customer portal solution on my development CRM organization that followed Shan's tutorial on Active Directory integration.

After some testing on the development organization, today I incorporated the Customer Portal onto our live production CRM organization.  The solution install went fine, the website copy went fine, and I used my Visual Studio project that I had built for the development organization but changed the connection string in web.config to point to the live production organization.  I set up my user in contacts, enabled logon, and added the web role(that matches the web.config allow roles). I cleaned my solution and built.

I am able to authenticate to Active Directory and access the customer portal. I am able to manage my account, and access information.  However I am not getting the client side editing tools.  I have cleared browser cache, cleaned and rebuilt project, quadruple checked web security role making sure it matches web.config check.  I cannot get client side editing tools.

If I change the one line in web.config Connection String to point back to development organization and build, it works. I get client side editing tools on my dev org.  I have quadruple checked all settings between dev and live orgs to make sure that they match.

Is there something that I am forgetting???

And what does not make matters any better is that the links to Shan's guide on AD integration are broken and pointing to the AdxStudio Community website instead of his blog.  I accessed a google cache of his tutorial but many of his steps had images that were broken and that I could not retrieve.

Any help would be appreciated

• Edited by iScreem Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:58 PM

Answers

• I have resolved the problem, but I did not find what the issue was.

What I ended up doing was in my live production organization I deleted the site, re-imported the solution, and then this time used the websitecopy tool to import my site from the development organization rather than the CustomerPortal .xml file.

After adding the role to my contact, it has editing capabilities.

On the previous setup of the live production org, I did not have any errors on the solution import or the website copy from .xml so I dont know if the problem had to do with either of those or not.

• Marked as answer by iScreem Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:43 PM

All replies

• Does that user have Web Portal Administrator role in your live production CRM organization? That role is what enables client-side editing for the portal.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Yes, I have made sure that I have the web role added, and that the web role matches exactly for the check in the web.config.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:44 PM
  • I have resolved the problem, but I did not find what the issue was.

What I ended up doing was in my live production organization I deleted the site, re-imported the solution, and then this time used the websitecopy tool to import my site from the development organization rather than the CustomerPortal .xml file.

After adding the role to my contact, it has editing capabilities.

On the previous setup of the live production org, I did not have any errors on the solution import or the website copy from .xml so I dont know if the problem had to do with either of those or not.

• Marked as answer by iScreem Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:43 PM
  • It won't sign you out if you clear cache until you close the browser. Refresh doesn't help. Let me know if that solves your problem. I am getting client side editing tools if I add web security role, clear cache, close browser then go back to portal.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:54 AM