Control in SharedView session is awfully slow RRS feed

• Question

• I wondered if SharedView can be  used in place of Remote Assistance. So I did experiment SharedView session between two PCs in my home network.  I found  that  controlling desktop of one PC from another through the session is so slow that this is not usable.  I would like to hear from forum participants about their experience.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've just tried a session (my first) between two work computers with plenty of bandwidth and the connection was so slow as to be unusable. I'm in the UK, so I don't know if it has to do with the central servers not being local or what.

I think it's pretty clear that an alternative such as LogMeIn's Hamachi or plain old VNC would be preferable to this. It's a shame as it's convenient to setup connections and share specific windows. However, unless the speed is there, it's pointless.

I also noticed in another forum post that the moderator recommended the user changing his desktop colour depth so the application didn't send so much data over the wire - I was amazed, as just about every other app will do this for you on the fly without anyone having to change anything!

Cheers,

Dave
    Monday, February 18, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Churin, what is your upload / download speed going out to the internet? 

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I've just tried a session (my first) between two work computers with plenty of bandwidth and the connection was so slow as to be unusable. I'm in the UK, so I don't know if it has to do with the central servers not being local or what.

I think it's pretty clear that an alternative such as LogMeIn's Hamachi or plain old VNC would be preferable to this. It's a shame as it's convenient to setup connections and share specific windows. However, unless the speed is there, it's pointless.

I also noticed in another forum post that the moderator recommended the user changing his desktop colour depth so the application didn't send so much data over the wire - I was amazed, as just about every other app will do this for you on the fly without anyone having to change anything!

Cheers,

Dave
    Monday, February 18, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Churin, what is your upload / download speed going out to the internet? 

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Thanks Dave, and David Moy for the responses.

I meant to say that it is much slower relative to Remote Assistance or Remote Desktop. The speed evaluations for Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop and SharedView  were done under the same upload/download condition.
    Anyway, my upload/download speeds are 512kbs/6000kbs nominal and typical measured speeds within U.S. are 430kbs/6400kbs.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 8:39 PM