Laptop's product key to another pc RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
     i was wondering if now that i bought a new laptop, maybe i could use the product key of the vista home premium i had installed to my old laptop (which i threw away) to register Vista on my desktop pc.

is this legal? Will i have any problems doing this?

Thank you very much for answering.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:04 PM

Answers

• The OEM Windows Vista Product Key is only valid with the computer it originally came with.  It is non-transferrable to any other computer and therefore cannot be used with any other computer.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:11 PM
  • i'm sorry i forgot to mention, my laptop came with Vista home basic so i bought a vista home premium for it. Can i use this vista home premium key to another pc?

Again, thank you for answering.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:29 PM
  • If you upgraded your laptop computer to Windows Vista Home Premium, then you cannot use that same product key to install Windows Vista Home Premium on a different computer.  You would have to reformat your laptop's hard drive (thus removing Windows Vista Home Premium) and reinstall the original Windows Vista Home Basic in order to use the Windows Home Premium license (product key) on a different computer.

In other words, you can only use a Windows Vista license on one computer.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:40 PM
  • An OEM Windows Vista license is a single use license that cannot be transferred to to a different computer.  Only a "retail" Windows Vista license can be transferred in the future.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:55 PM

All replies

• The OEM Windows Vista Product Key is only valid with the computer it originally came with.  It is non-transferrable to any other computer and therefore cannot be used with any other computer.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:11 PM
  • i'm sorry i forgot to mention, my laptop came with Vista home basic so i bought a vista home premium for it. Can i use this vista home premium key to another pc?

Again, thank you for answering.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:29 PM
  • If you upgraded your laptop computer to Windows Vista Home Premium, then you cannot use that same product key to install Windows Vista Home Premium on a different computer.  You would have to reformat your laptop's hard drive (thus removing Windows Vista Home Premium) and reinstall the original Windows Vista Home Basic in order to use the Windows Home Premium license (product key) on a different computer.

In other words, you can only use a Windows Vista license on one computer.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:40 PM
  • Exactly what i want to do, thank you very much for answering. If i remove the vista from my older pc, i can use it to my new pc.

Ok, last question, i promise.

I have also bought an OEM disk of Vista home premium (i was able to do so, when i bought a new motherboard).

This is a just a disk (no manuals or package) and didnt come with a new pc as you see. is this the same as if it came with a new pc? i can only install this to one pc and that can't ever change (install to another pc after removing it from the older pc), right? As, you said in your first reply?

I guess my question is a bit confusing.

Anyways thanx for all the help.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:51 PM
  • An OEM Windows Vista license is a single use license that cannot be transferred to to a different computer.  Only a "retail" Windows Vista license can be transferred in the future.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:55 PM