9000 Conflicts - 9000 Resolve Clicks - Is there a better way? RRS feed

• Question

• Somehow, one of my mesh folders has acquired more than 9,000 conflicts.  I am not sure how this happened but it is possible I caused it by moving the root folder during synchronization (stupid user, I know).  This folder is in peer mesh only (not synched with Live Desktop).  Most conflicts are "The folder containing this item has been deleted".  I know there are 9,000 conflicts because ..\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\HoldingArea> contains 9,000 files.

Is there any way to resolve this other than clicking through 9,000 conflicts using the Resolve Conflicts dialog?
    Tony
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:29 AM

Answers

• TonySnky said:

So here is what I did to fix this (so far):

1. Stopped synchronizing the folder on my second machine.
    2. Renamed the folder on the second machine.
    3. Stopped mesh on first machine.
    4. Took a backup of all files in the mesh holding area directory.
    5. Deleted all files in the mesh holding area directory.
    6. Restart mesh - still have conflicts (50 reported, they obviously come in batches of 50 at a time if you have more than that).

So that technique didn't work.  Therefore, I have resolved by:

1. Delete the folder from the Live Mesh Desktop.  Even though it is not synchronized with Live Desktop, the folder is listed there.
    2. Restore all missing files - thank deity for Home Server backup!

I have not yet put the folder back into mesh.  After ensuring I have a clean backup I will try again on the weekend and report back whether I can get stable synchronization.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry to hear about how much of a hassle you're having to go through.  We've had some customer requests for improvements to conflict handling (e.g., a "mass resolve" feature such as that mentioned by dishragwhore above), and I'll certainly add additional votes for those features on your behalf.  In the meantime, please do let us know how the reconstituting of your mesh proceeds, and if we can be of any assistance.  Do you have any guesses as to how you ended up with such a huge numbers of conflicts all of a sudden?

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:41 PM

All replies

• If you are absolutely sure that one machine's folder is newer, you could unsync the older version of the folder, delete the files, then resync the folder to the machine...

Mesh would have to re-transfer the entire contents of the folder from the master copy to the donor machine.  It would solve your conflicts issue, but if there's 9000 items you're probably not enthused about syncing all that content, again.

In the long run, I think a more robust conflict resolution system, with a "treat all others like this" option, is necessary.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by TonySnky Friday, January 9, 2009 12:51 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:19 PM
  • So here is what I did to fix this (so far):

6. Restart mesh - still have conflicts (50 reported, they obviously come in batches of 50 at a time if you have more than that).

1. Delete the folder from the Live Mesh Desktop.  Even though it is not synchronized with Live Desktop, the folder is listed there.

I have not yet put the folder back into mesh.  After ensuring I have a clean backup I will try again on the weekend and report back whether I can get stable synchronization.

Tony
    Friday, January 9, 2009 12:51 AM
  • TonySnky said:

So here is what I did to fix this (so far):

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry to hear about how much of a hassle you're having to go through.  We've had some customer requests for improvements to conflict handling (e.g., a "mass resolve" feature such as that mentioned by dishragwhore above), and I'll certainly add additional votes for those features on your behalf.  In the meantime, please do let us know how the reconstituting of your mesh proceeds, and if we can be of any assistance.  Do you have any guesses as to how you ended up with such a huge numbers of conflicts all of a sudden?

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:41 PM
  • I had a similar problem myself. I'd synced all my mp3 between my Home Server, work PC and home desktop PC. I then added in my media center PC and started to get lots of conflicts between my home desktop PC and my work PC! In the end I got fed up of trying to resolve conflicts and the waste of bandwith with files trying to re-sync so I removed the replica at work. All has been fine since. For this reason I havent even tried to sync my photos between home and work in case I have a simliar problem (I use live sync for that instead). Is there anyway to stop this happening?

Dave
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:34 PM
  •  Do you have any guesses as to how you ended up with such a huge numbers of conflicts all of a sudden?

Hi Ben,

I can tell you how I ended up with a very large number of conflicts. I travel a bit and had Live Mesh syncing photos between my wife's PC and my Windows XP PC. On my PC the photos are stored in a Shared Documents\Shared Pictures\Photos directory. I then gave my PC to my father PC, created an account for him on that PC, and bought myself a laptop, installed Live Mesh on my laptop and added the photos directory to that so now they were being shared 3 ways. I added my father to the permissions and, and here's my mistake, pointed his Live Mesh folder at the same location on my original PC that I had pointed my Live Mesh folder to in my account: Shared Documents\Shared Pictures\Photos.

A few months pass, 1000 photos are shared between the 3 machines, I decide to log into my father's PC (that used to be mine) to check something using Switch User while he is logged on, and Live Mesh goes nuts. Multiple copies of directories are created with (1) (2) etc suffixes, folders disappear, photos are in the Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\HoldingArea directory, and a large number of conflicts occur multiple times for each file. I'm still trying to sort it all out.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:05 AM
  • A bug report with logs would be most helpful. :-) Conflict resolution can be a bear when it happens and I'd sure like to see the Live Mesh devs fix any and all bugs related to it.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:53 PM
  • A bug report with logs would be most helpful. :-) Conflict resolution can be a bear when it happens and I'd sure like to see the Live Mesh devs fix any and all bugs related to it.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator

I see the last post on this issue here was back in May.  I too have been having issues with multiple conflicts for over a year now and have even blogged about it.

Carlos P
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Carlos, the team has already acknowledged that they needed to improve conflict resolution. However, that doesn't explain why *all* of your files are showing as conflicting. The best thing for you to do, since this *is* a beta, is to open a bug report and submit logs from both machines to help identify what is going on.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 2, 2009 12:51 AM
  • Hi its now late 2010 and I found this thread. I have a ton of conflicts I want to resolve. Scouring the net for help now...

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Hi its now late 2010 and I found this thread. I have a ton of conflicts I want to resolve. Scouring the net for help now...

There won't be anything found by scouring. You need to deal with the conflicts manually in Live Mesh. You can do this in the Live Mesh notifier or you can do it via the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com - no matter which path you choose, it will be tedious.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:21 PM