How to log on to windows home server desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I just Installed Windows Home server 2011 on to my HP Proliant Micro Server. All is going well and I have have just connected my computer to WHS 2011.. I can connect to the dashboard but I don't know how to get to the WHS desktop so I can install a couple of programs like Media Servers. I can connect to it remotely via a web address as well, but I can't get to the WHS desk top from my laptop.   
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:26 PM

Answers

• when logging in to the server via remote desktop, use: Server\Administrator for the user name (replacing Server with the name of your server), and the password you set for the dashboard as the password.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Dark Kniight Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:31 PM
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:58 AM

All replies

• You should be able to connect using Remote Desktop Connection from your laptop. Use your server Administrator account details when logging in. Note that what you want to do (installing additional Media Servers may or may not work - why not use the inbuilt functionality of WHS 2011?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:38 PM
  • initially when I installed WHS 2011 onto my Microserver I transfered all my files from my laptop as the laptop hard drive was failing. I re-installed windows 7 on a new ssd and had a little trouble reconnecting to the WHS but I eventually did. I can do everything else but I can't connect to the whs desktop from my laptop. It says connection was denied because the user account is not authorised for remote login.. how can I change this?... I only have 1 user account on this laptop and I've set it up as adminstrator...Oh and I don't think WHS 2011 supports mkv files to stream over to my tv does it?  i have tried to access it and no videos are showing at all.
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:11 AM
  • when logging in to the server via remote desktop, use: Server\Administrator for the user name (replacing Server with the name of your server), and the password you set for the dashboard as the password.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Dark Kniight Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:31 PM
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Oh wow thanks Ken that worked!..

Sunday, September 30, 2012 2:25 PM