Microsoft Money 2004 Budget Question RRS feed

• Question

• I am still using microsoft money 2004 simply because I have been using it for a long time and I like it.  There is one thing that I cannot figure out on this program.  Every time I change something in my budget it changes it for all previous months.  Ex: if I get a raise in income and I change my income in "budget" it changes my income to that number for every month and year prior to that.  Anything Ican do to help this? Please help and thanks for the help in advance!

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:07 AM

All replies

• It's been a *LONG* time since I messed with M04 budgeting. So what follows is educated speculation:

I suspect that the design expectation was that the defined budget was good until another one was created. I don't remember exactly how, but there was a way in Budget to save a budget and create a new one. I don't think they keep track of when--date span--these budgets were valid so, yes, if your budget calls for however much income you are earning in late 2012 and you compare that to actual transaction income from early 2004, say, you will get invalid results.

It seems reasonable to me--both from Money experience and from working in environments where we establsh budget baselines and create new baselines when conditions change--that having an increase in income should lead to one of two things: a) variances as income exceeds the budgeted amount, or, b) a reason to strike a new budget baseline to measure performance against going forward.

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:25 PM