Will Home Server load balance over multiple Ethernet connections? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have finally collected the hardware for my Home Server Beta box and was just concerned about bandwidth.  I do not have a gigabit switch and I'm just afraid a single 100MB connection will not be enough.  I will have 2 HD DVRs, 2 Media Center PCs, and 7 desktop PCs in my house all using it.  So if I were to use 2 (or maybe more) 100MB connections, would WHS take advantage of this?  And if this is possible, how can this be configured?

Sorry for my lack of experience but I will not have my server box set up for a few more days and I just wanted to plan ahead.  I would really appreciate any input.  Thanks!

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:18 AM

Answers

•  L96A1 wrote:

Hello, I have finally collected the hardware for my Home Server Beta box and was just concerned about bandwidth.  I do not have a gigabit switch and I'm just afraid a single 100MB connection will not be enough.  I will have 2 HD DVRs, 2 Media Center PCs, and 7 desktop PCs in my house all using it.  So if I were to use 2 (or maybe more) 100MB connections, would WHS take advantage of this?  And if this is possible, how can this be configured?

Sorry for my lack of experience but I will not have my server box set up for a few more days and I just wanted to plan ahead.  I would really appreciate any input.  Thanks!

Multi-homing is not supported. Cheap gigabit switches are easy to find these days.

Hope that helps...

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:41 AM
  • WHS doesn't support bridging network connections, or multi-homing the server. If your NIC drivers support it, you may be able to bond/team two NICs, but once again it's not supported. And typically the cards with drivers that support bonding are expensive, because they're normally only used in servers. So as SME says, you would be better off replacing your current 100BT switch with a 1000BT switch.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 5:13 AM

All replies

•  L96A1 wrote:

Hello, I have finally collected the hardware for my Home Server Beta box and was just concerned about bandwidth.  I do not have a gigabit switch and I'm just afraid a single 100MB connection will not be enough.  I will have 2 HD DVRs, 2 Media Center PCs, and 7 desktop PCs in my house all using it.  So if I were to use 2 (or maybe more) 100MB connections, would WHS take advantage of this?  And if this is possible, how can this be configured?

Multi-homing is not supported. Cheap gigabit switches are easy to find these days.

Hope that helps...

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:41 AM
  • WHS doesn't support bridging network connections, or multi-homing the server. If your NIC drivers support it, you may be able to bond/team two NICs, but once again it's not supported. And typically the cards with drivers that support bonding are expensive, because they're normally only used in servers. So as SME says, you would be better off replacing your current 100BT switch with a 1000BT switch.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 5:13 AM
  • I guess I will have to not be cheap and go out and get a new switch   I do thank you for the input and fast responses!  Thanks again.

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:24 PM