Telphony with OCS as an Ipbx RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !!

I would like to connect sip phone to OCS to make call to each other (ip-phone to ip-phone and to Communicator).

But i don't know if it is possible and were is the documentation for this kind of handling?

In "OCS Voip_guide" there is only hight level telephony, connected to ISDN with media gateway and mediation server...

But i only want to make call in my lab between ip-phone and Communicator. Where is that documentation please?

thanks a lot !!

Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:38 PM

Answers

• The phones that connect directly to OCS are not available yet.  They are expected to become available starting around September or October.  Without these phones you must have some other type of telephony integration to make anything besides PC-to-PC calls.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:53 PM
  • It's seems to be  impossible to communicate without gateway and ipbx connection. Only communicator can do that. Maybe Tanjay phone too, but there is no, for the moment, enought information about that.

"Since this presence model and single persona concepts are not available with existing SIP endpoints today, they will not connect directly to Office Communications Server 2007."

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/8/8/f8827334-58c6-4cd3-8f68-f4254a7d568c/OCS%20Telephony%20Integration%20WP%20FINAL%20RELEASE.docx

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:42 PM

All replies

• The phones that connect directly to OCS are not available yet.  They are expected to become available starting around September or October.  Without these phones you must have some other type of telephony integration to make anything besides PC-to-PC calls.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:53 PM
  • Hi Mike and thank you !

So i must use a pbx and a media gateway? Even a Tanjay phone cannot be directly connected to Ocs?

That's pitifull, even a free ipbx enable that, what is new than Lcs...

thanks

Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:11 PM
  •  

You can connect directly to OCS an OCS-compatible phone only.

You cannot register a relatively cheap SIP-phone on OCS. It is a main limitation of OCS.

Moreover OCS uses proprietary RT Audio codec and fully incompatible with G.711 codec (without slave Mediation Server).

What's new? Hmm... In LCS there were no usable tools for troubleshooting. In OCS we have the trace tool. :-)

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:46 AM
  • Hi guys and thank you!

So some Sip-phone are OCS compatible? Do you know where is the list of compatible phones (i'm using cisco 7940 phone with sip firmware)? So ms_tanjay phone is fully compatible i guess.

Is it a codec problem only or a sip problem also? (is OCS using rfc-2543 and 3261 sip ?)

thanks

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:28 AM
  • TLS is problems also. OCS uses SIP over TLS over TCP (yeah, and proprietary SIP-extensions also, but TLS is a main border).

Most of the relatively cheap SIP phones aren't TLS-capable. We have the same issue with SIP over TCP.

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:51 AM
  • See https://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/uc/gallery.mspx#E4G for a list of some devices that will work with OCS 2007.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:28 PM
  • thank you very much !!

so if i use one of those phones i will be able to call from Communicator to one phone without gateway ?

Hardware OCS compatibility isn't a simple thing ;-)! That's true with gateway too, except nortel or audiocode... there isn't a list of all compatibles gateways (are all gateways ocs compatible?). 

thanks for the link.

bye!

Monday, July 16, 2007 3:42 PM
  • It's seems to be  impossible to communicate without gateway and ipbx connection. Only communicator can do that. Maybe Tanjay phone too, but there is no, for the moment, enought information about that.

"Since this presence model and single persona concepts are not available with existing SIP endpoints today, they will not connect directly to Office Communications Server 2007."

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/8/8/f8827334-58c6-4cd3-8f68-f4254a7d568c/OCS%20Telephony%20Integration%20WP%20FINAL%20RELEASE.docx

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:42 PM
  • I can connect connect SIP phones to external SIP server (AVAYA SES) but how i can see in OCS client status of the phone (busy- free)?  

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:38 AM
  • You would need AES from Avaya to show presence updates into OCS.  This configuration is called Remote Call Control (RCC).  However, Microsoft has de-emphasized RCC in OCS because it doesn't provide as good of a user experience as Enterprise Voice.  As an alternative you can use our SmartSIP product to register the SIP phones directly to OCS.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:02 PM