Configure CRM for IFD RRS feed

• Question

• Documentation seems to lead us to believe that when configuring a CRM deployment for IFD, we must set up the a record to read as the following:

http://organizationname.domain.com:port

Is that correct?  or is it possible to use another word/phrase/name in place of the organizationname?  When testing the DNS, it seems to default to that.

Regards, Bill
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:27 AM

Answers

• You're correct Bill. You need an A record for each orgname.domain.com you plan on making available with IFD.
    Neil - My CRM Blog
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 3:40 PM
  • We had one client who wanted to use his own domain, but we just suggested that he sets up a DNS web forward from his domain to ours e.g. if we host the org xyz.domain.com, they can setup a web forward for crm.company.com which redirects to our address. However, the end result is still having the URL xyz.domain.com in the address bar.

Changing the org name is possible, but it involves reimporting the organisation via deployment manager to set the name.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:59 PM

All replies

• You're correct Bill. You need an A record for each orgname.domain.com you plan on making available with IFD.
    Neil - My CRM Blog
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Thanks.  Have you come across any situations where the orgname.domainname.com is simply not desireable for the client?  If so, what was the workaround?  We are dealing with an upgrade to 4.0 so their org has been named (let's say) XYZIncorporated and their domain is the same.  And they just don't want to have the users browse to http://XYZIncorporated.XYZIncorporated.com.

Any thoughts?  What about changing the org name now after the fact?  Would that be a possibility?  I don't recall if that is a complex or supported procedure.

Regards, Bill
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:45 PM
  • We had one client who wanted to use his own domain, but we just suggested that he sets up a DNS web forward from his domain to ours e.g. if we host the org xyz.domain.com, they can setup a web forward for crm.company.com which redirects to our address. However, the end result is still having the URL xyz.domain.com in the address bar.

Changing the org name is possible, but it involves reimporting the organisation via deployment manager to set the name.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Related question...

Do we use the unique name or the friendly name?

ABC123 or ABC&123

I think i just answered my own question - unique name is what we use, correct?

Regards, Bill
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:06 PM