WHS 2011 Availability Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• I just read in one of Ken W's many posts that V1 of WHS2011 would probably not be available for shrinkwrap sale until they get to V2. He mentioned that was the way it was with the previous WHS.

If it is only going to be available to OEMs and System Builders and the average Joe won't be able to buy a copy for their home system, that would have been a good thing to know at the point I downloaded the RC.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Old Guy
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:55 PM

All replies

• Erm, I'm an average Joe, and I was able to buy OEM licenses for my two WHS V1 builds without difficulty through standard retailers. I don't think there's an issue here.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Well that is technically illegal and I certainly don't want to argue it.

I want to be able to buy a retail copy of WHS 2011 to install on my own computer. If they don't plan to release it for retail sale, then I need to know. I don't need to know how to get around it in other ways.

Old Guy
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Old Guy,
    There is nothing "illegal" about purchasing an original copy of the OEM/Systembuilder Kit of Windows Home Server V1. It has been available through a number of resail channels since RTM.

However, WHS being available as OEM-only  (there is no retail version) effectively means you are your own "support". You will not get technical support from Microsoft as you would with a retail version.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, March 14, 2011 9:44 PM