Self Build Installation Nightmare RRS feed

• Question

• Hi name is Clem and I am having a nightmare!!

I am building a Windows Home Server from scratch and have managed to build numerous computers and other home servers with no problems before but this one is taking the mickey!!!

I am trying and not very well to simply install the OS. I start the installation off as normal and every time, it fails to continue because of a different error each time. The first time the OS did it's first reboot and it reported that NTDL was corrupt, so I started the installation again and the next time it said iirsp.sys was corrupt. So I started yet again and then this time it failed at the 2003 business installation part. Each time I start the installation from the beginning it fails at different stages with a different message. I have even flashed the BIOS on the motherboard but that does bugger all. I have tried about seven times to install the software each with a different error.

I am now starting to pull my hair out. I have tried two different copies of the software, which are Genuine OEM versions and legit. I have tried different hard drives of which both are brand spanking new.

The server is a bit hardcore and here are the specs

ZALMAN Cool Innovations GS1000 plus Case
    Gigabyte GA-MA770T-ES3
    AMD Dual Core Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz 7MB Socket AM3
    4Gb DDR3 ( Novatech 2GB (1x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Single Channel Kit)
    ASUS EN8400GS Graphics card (Server so it doesn't need that much!!)

This spec should make it fly but I just simply cannot get the OS to install. I don't understand as I have built one before (lower spec) and had no problems at all with that!

Please help!!
    Clem 
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:44 PM

Answers

• UPDATE:!!!!

I got up this morning and thought sod it lets have another go, so I changed the SATA cable to the DVD Drive and turned off cool and quiet in the BIOS. I started the process off again from the start and left it running. I returned back to see if anything had happened and hey presto the OS had installed normally. I would not have believed it had i not seen it myself.

Many thanks for your help guys, I am always learning and when stuff like this happens it is always good to try on here and put that in the learning bank!!

Once again Thanks!

Clem 
    • Marked as answer by Clemster Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:04 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hi name is Clem and I am having a nightmare!!

I am building a Windows Home Server from scratch and have managed to build numerous computers and other home servers with no problems before but this one is taking the mickey!!!

I am trying and not very well to simply install the OS. I start the installation off as normal and every time, it fails to continue because of a different error each time. The first time the OS did it's first reboot and it reported that NTDL was corrupt, so I started the installation again and the next time it said iirsp.sys was corrupt. So I started yet again and then this time it failed at the 2003 business installation part. Each time I start the installation from the beginning it fails at different stages with a different message. I have even flashed the BIOS on the motherboard but that does bugger all. I have tried about seven times to install the software each with a different error.

I am now starting to pull my hair out. I have tried two different copies of the software, which are Genuine OEM versions and legit. I have tried different hard drives of which both are brand spanking new.

The server is a bit hardcore and here are the specs

ZALMAN Cool Innovations GS1000 plus Case
    Gigabyte GA-MA770T-ES3
    AMD Dual Core Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz 7MB Socket AM3
    4Gb DDR3 ( Novatech 2GB (1x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Single Channel Kit)
    ASUS EN8400GS Graphics card (Server so it doesn't need that much!!)

This spec should make it fly but I just simply cannot get the OS to install. I don't understand as I have built one before (lower spec) and had no problems at all with that!

Please help!!
    Clem 
    You might try replacing the DVD drive (or, although unlikely, try running chkdsk /r on both hard drives).
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Hi Clem,
    such changing failures often point to faulty memory (sometimes, if you really are sure, that the memory is good, its also only necessary to increase the voltage for the memory in the Bios settings to get the system stable (have seen this on one of my systems in the past).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:24 PM
  • UPDATE:!!!!

I got up this morning and thought sod it lets have another go, so I changed the SATA cable to the DVD Drive and turned off cool and quiet in the BIOS. I started the process off again from the start and left it running. I returned back to see if anything had happened and hey presto the OS had installed normally. I would not have believed it had i not seen it myself.

Many thanks for your help guys, I am always learning and when stuff like this happens it is always good to try on here and put that in the learning bank!!

Once again Thanks!

Clem 
    • Marked as answer by Clemster Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:04 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:04 PM