none
Moving Microsoft Money files to a new computer: Where do I find the Money program files that I need to transfer? RRS feed

• Question

• Our 6-year old Sony Vaio desktop (running Windows XP) was starting to give up the ghost. My wife had her Microsoft Money files running on that computer. I had a local PC shop transfer all of our files and folders to our new HP desktop, running Windows 7. 

How do I get Money up and running on the new computer?

I downloaded the Microsoft Money Sunset version, opened it and thought it might automatically find the Money program files on our new computer, but it didn't. I tried "Importing", but that didn't work.

How do I identify/find the Microsoft Money files that are on my new computer? I'm not sure where to look or what the name of the files would be?  (I found a folder entitled "Money." The largest file in there is called Money - Sample (about 7MB) Is that the file that contains my wife's financialo records?)

Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:34 PM

All replies

• You installed Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on the new computer. Close Money.

If you have not yet done so, copy your newest *.mny and newest *.mbf files from the old computer to the new computer's Documents folder (typically). Do NOT put your *.mny file or *.mbf files within ProgramFiles. It's very important. I understand that sample.mny is there. If you want to play with Sample.mny, I suggest copying that file to your Documents folder, and opening that copy.

Open Money by double-clicking on your *.mny file that you copied over. Money will remember your most recent file opend. Alternatively, from within Money, you would use File->Open rather than File->Import.

Once inside Money,
    go to Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, and set the location for your
    "backup my Money file every time I close Money" to a place in your Documents
    folder. The best way to do this is to use the Browse button. Also set
    the location for your scheduled backup. A USB drive is usually a good place
    to put your scheduled backup.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:18 PM