Need to know how to activate without Start function RRS feed

• Question

•  I bought my laptop on ebay and it turned out that the version of Vista was not valid. I just bought the OEM system Builder Pack but all the instructions I see for activation involve using the start button and my start button is disabled. How can I install Vista since I do not have a start button
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:32 PM

Answers

• Chi,

You would need to contact the system builder for instruction as how to install Vista.  It is the responsibility fo the system builder to provide you with technical support.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:06 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:04 PM

All replies

• Chi,

First lets focus on the actual ebay purchase and the non-genuine version of Vista Operating System which came preinstalled. 
     Have you contacted EBay and PayPal regarding this problem? We are not sure what criteria they require regarding refunds as you will need to work directly with them.  Next do you have a digital camera or can you borrow one?  Please take a snap shot of the WGA Notification you seen when Windows starts up. Also take snapshots of the results of the Validate Windows and Validate Office scans here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ . Next take a snapshot of the MGA Diagnostic Report Results. Ask EBay for a fax number then fax all screen shots to them showing what you are experiencing.  Another option you may post them to a free picture hosting site and email them a link so they may see what you are experiencing. Either way please request guidance from EBay and PayPal as how your situation may be best handled.    

Log onto EBay and click onto the Community Link located in the upper right hand corner, then Discussion Boards, then locate PayPal.  Search a little to see if you can find a similar situation.  If no quick results, then post a question in that PayPal discussion board, describe your situation and ask if anyone there has filed a similar claim and how did PayPal end up deciding. 

Chi are you willing to work with us? If so we have some questions maybe you can provide us with some answers. Here they are and we do appreciate your post and help: 

- Please compare the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker against others located on http://www.howtotell.com . Does the COA contain a 25 digit product key? Let us know if it appears genuine or non-genuine.  Next I highly encourage filing a filing a piracy.  Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ .  There will be a link off this site for filing the report. Please follow all of the directions and provide all information about the seller as possible.  Also have you attempted to call and/or email the person whom you purchased this system from? Request he provide you with the genuine versions of the product. Also let him know you are filing a piracy report with Microsoft and will be working with all appropriate channels.

-  Was this an individual or an actual business selling the product on EBay? 

-  Did you receive the original software media disc, proper packaging and COA with the purchase?

-  Research and see if the person has an actual store front as well verses selling as an individual. Next please try and see if he has sold other Microsoft Windows. Maybe he has a high negative feedback. Maybe other people have filed against this customer already. 

-  Please provide EBay Alias contact information and direct EBay link where you purchased the product to us.

-  Please post the auction number for what you bought on eBay

Thank you very much. Please provide us with answers and any other information which may be helpful.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:03 AM
  • At this point all I really want is to be able to use my computer again. I am a student and I need my laptop everyday so I just want to be able to install the legit version of Vista that I bought. I understand that you are trying to crack down on people selling false versions of Vista but I do not have the time to help out. I apologize but I still would appreciate your help
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:21 AM
  • Chi,

You would need to contact the system builder for instruction as how to install Vista.  It is the responsibility fo the system builder to provide you with technical support.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:06 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:04 PM