MS OneCare & Wireless Printer Sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Studio XP 64bit and a Dell Wireless printer.  Whenever I have OneCare turned-on I can't get the computer to recognize my wireless printer.  I'm trying to send faxes directly from my document folders and nothing happenings.  What I'm trying to print, scan or print just isn't recognized. I've even turned-off the firewall and still no go.  When I uninstall OneCare I have not problems printing, scanning or faxing with my wireless printer.  This is really annoying.  Anyone have practical, useable suggestions?

Thanks!
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Monday, September 21, 2009 12:20 PM firewall issue, not printer sharing from within OneCare (From:Windows Live OneCare Printer Sharing)
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:58 AM

Answers

• Your issue is with the firewall, though I find it odd that turning off the firewall does not allow it to work. OneCare's firewall will need to be configured to allow the driver(s) to access the printer over the network. That may include entering ports in the advanced Ports and Protocols tab as well as allowing one or more programs to have access through the firewall. You'll need to contact Dell for specific details for the printer model you are using.
    If you need help with this you can contact OneCare Support -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:19 PM