Cannot add .co.uk domain name RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add my site (and sitemap) in the Webmaster Centre ( http://webmaster.live.com/webmaster/WebmasterAddSitesPage.aspx )

It reports the error:

"The site address isn't valid."

though www.mysite.co.uk is perfectly valid.

If I try www.mysite.co.uk/index.php it accepts it, but then the site validation fails (both XML file & meta tag)...

Any ideas?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:31 AM

Answers

• Found the problem (after much testing).

My .htaccess file was issuing a redirect (301) to /index.php when the site root / was requested.

msnbot-webmaster doesn't like this for some reason, that's why I couldn't add the domain.

I was trying to avoid duplicate content - / and /index.php being the same page. (Wasn't a problem with google or yahoo either ;-) )

Fixed now.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

what is your domain name?

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

It's intocharity .co.uk

Strangley enough, I seem to be able to add other .co.uk domains, just not this one.

Thanks,
    Pheet
    Friday, September 12, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Found the problem (after much testing).

My .htaccess file was issuing a redirect (301) to /index.php when the site root / was requested.

msnbot-webmaster doesn't like this for some reason, that's why I couldn't add the domain.

I was trying to avoid duplicate content - / and /index.php being the same page. (Wasn't a problem with google or yahoo either ;-) )

Fixed now.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:22 PM
  • Welcome to the bunch, I was having exactly the same problem, added 8 sites, and there is one exactly with the same symptoms. The domain (a .net domain) looked like it had been blacklisted, because it didn't show up at all on live search. Now it does, but it couldn't be added to webmaster tools. I have redirects as well .Reconstructed .htacess from scratch and now it works...will see for how long.

Cheers
    Monday, September 15, 2008 8:19 AM
  • Problem was solved on my side, thanks for the hint...
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:08 PM