locked
"Cannot connect this computer to the Network" "An unexpected error has occurred." during WHS 2011 connector installation RRS feed

  • Question

  • All the WHS shared files are visible to the client computers.

    The client computers are able to connect to the WHS server with Remote Desktop Connection.

    The client accesses the server URL   //servername/connect,
    then downloads and runs the connector install software,
    then I log into the server with the server password and this is the result (above)

    I’ve tried this with two different Windows 8.1 computers and one Windows XP computer with exactly the same results. 


    Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

    Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:56 PM

All replies

  • All the WHS shared files are visible to the client computers.

    The client computers are able to connect to the WHS server with Remote Desktop Connection.

    The client accesses the server URL   //servername/connect,
    then downloads and runs the connector install software,
    then I log into the server with the server password and this is the result (below)

    I’ve tried this with two different Windows 8.1 computers and one Windows XP computer with exactly the same results. 


    Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.


    • Edited by erlewis Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:41 PM
    • Merged by Justin Gu Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:19 AM duplicate
    Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:40 PM
  • I just saw a similar post/resolution that referred to the IIS bindings and this is what I see on my WHS:


    Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

    Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:59 PM
  • Now I am looking at the Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Security and I see to events that occur when I try to initiate the download/install process.

    Two failure reasons are given %%2304 and %%2306

    I don't know how to interpret this data.  Screen shot follows:


    Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

    Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Hi,

    Sorry for my delay.

    Based on your description, I understand that you encounter an unexpected error when connect Windows 8.1 (or Windows XP) to the Windows Home Server 2011 via Connector software. Please refer to the following operations and check if can help you to solve this issue.

    1. Uninstall Connector software from the client computer.
    2. Please use command ipconfig /flushdns to flushes and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. Then reboot the client computer.
    3. In this client computer, please re-install the Connector software and check if this issue still persists.

    Meanwhile, please refer to the following article. It seems that Windows 8.1 for home computers are not supported to work with Windows Home Server 2011.

    Supported operating systems for home computers

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,

    Justin Gu

    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:20 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. 

    In the web link you provide Microsoft makes no distinction for service packs in Win 7 and so I interpret Win 8.1 to be part of Win 8.  If MS had specified Win 8.0 .. <insert link to disc. of Win8.1 fix?>

    To comply with your directions I performed the following on a Win 8.1 workstation.

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Users\Eric>ipconfig /flushdns

    Windows IP Configuration

    Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

    C:\Users\Eric>

    Because I had previously removed the WHS v1 client and the v2 client install fails, there were no WHS clients to remove.

    Then I retried the install with the same results (see original post).  Following is a screen shot of the Security log showing all the activity during a second attempt at the install.  The same padlock and messge appears whenever any client computer attempts to install the client software.

    Following is the obscured message appearing above:

    Account For Which Logon Failed:

                    Security ID:                            NULL SID

                    Account Name:                    

                    Account Domain:                

    Failure Information:

                    Failure Reason:                      The NetLogon component is not active.

                    Status:                                    0xc0000192

                    Sub Status:                             0x80090325

    Something appears to be interfering with the client logon at the time that I enter the server password.

    I do need help interpreting the significance of the error messages in the logs.  These same two padlock error message occur in tandem every time I try to install a client from any machine.

    Eric


    Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.


    • Edited by erlewis Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:14 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:12 PM