Wow - lots of fun (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Cork Kyle posted on 01-25-2009 6:29 AM

First of all, thank you. I'm a complete novice and am having a LOT of fun using Songsmith (after using it a couple of hours I was so hooked that I bought it).

My one wish would be to re-record a small section of vocals without having to re-record all of the vocals.

An easy way to present that, without complicating the interface, would be to allow contiguous bars to be selected - then when the record button was pressed, only the selected bars would be recorded.

Fine work folks!

Cork

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:36 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 01-26-2009 9:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback!  That kind of positive feedback goes a long way...

Re-recording pieces of the vocal is a great idea, and something we will look at for sure if we end up with resources to work on subsequent versions of Songsmith.  There is some complexity with getting audio clips to blend together nicely, but this is doable.

FWIW, if you're trying to get that perfect take, one approach I definitely recommend is to create your song in Songsmith, then export the music and vocals as separate audio files and load them up in a multi-track recording application that will let you record multiple takes, splice takes together, double your vocals, add harmony, crossfade, etc.  I often work with Cakewalk Sonar or Adobe Audition to do exactly this.  If you're just getting started in this area, there are great free programs like Audacity and Reaper that will let you really work on your recordings after you get the basic song worked out in Songsmith.  This is part of the reason we decided _not_ to do this in Songsmith; keeping the Songsmith UI simple was a priority, and the availability of so much great software for audio editing means that we don't have to try to do everything in Songsmith.

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions... happy Songsmith'ing!

-Dan

All replies

• pezasied182 replied on 01-26-2009 6:49 PM

• dmorris replied on 01-26-2009 9:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback!  That kind of positive feedback goes a long way...

Re-recording pieces of the vocal is a great idea, and something we will look at for sure if we end up with resources to work on subsequent versions of Songsmith.  There is some complexity with getting audio clips to blend together nicely, but this is doable.

FWIW, if you're trying to get that perfect take, one approach I definitely recommend is to create your song in Songsmith, then export the music and vocals as separate audio files and load them up in a multi-track recording application that will let you record multiple takes, splice takes together, double your vocals, add harmony, crossfade, etc.  I often work with Cakewalk Sonar or Adobe Audition to do exactly this.  If you're just getting started in this area, there are great free programs like Audacity and Reaper that will let you really work on your recordings after you get the basic song worked out in Songsmith.  This is part of the reason we decided _not_ to do this in Songsmith; keeping the Songsmith UI simple was a priority, and the availability of so much great software for audio editing means that we don't have to try to do everything in Songsmith.

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions... happy Songsmith'ing!

-Dan