none
Let the moderators ability to ban spammers RRS feed

• General discussion

• Lately there were lots of spammers who post about 20+ messages in the forum all about some Games or Olympics. Deleting them manually is too much work.

Reporting them is also a lot of work and they are not deleted right away.

I think there should be a mechanism for the moderators to Propose a user for a ban and if this flag is set, all messages of such user are hidden from the view. Then the forum's admins can actually ban the spammers for real.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:33 PM

All replies

• This would be incredibly useful.  Over the last week, I've spent/wasted so much time deleting posts (hundreds) and reporting the spammers, it's gotten kind of crazy.

The ability to flag a user for banning and have their posts hidden would be hugely beneficial, and probably save a lot of time for everyone involved.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:45 PM
  • It would also be useful for moderators to be able to tell that a user has been banned. If the profile still exists, but the activity tab is empty, does that mean the user is banned and can no longer post? If I see activity in the profile, even if the posts are deleted when you click on them, does that mean the user can still spam?

I've decided that flagging the recent sports related posts abusive is a waste of time. Also, linking the profile and spam posts in this forum seems of little use. Better to request the user be banned using the standard form.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:00 AM
  • If we can make a single click and the user is automatically scheduled to be banned (and in the meantime he can no longer post and his replies are hidden), I think it will help a lot.

I agree, it will be nice to be able to see the 'Banned' status somewhere at the top of the profile and activity of the user.

My blog

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:46 AM
  •  If the profile still exists, but the activity tab is empty, does that mean the user is banned and can no longer post?

Yes

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:22 AM
    Owner
  • I think the reasoning is that there needs to be a system of check and balances. A lot of Moderators banning could get out of hand. I think you're onto a good idea though.

We should move this to the Forum Suggestions forum, since that's what it is.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:24 AM
    Owner
  • I think the reasoning is that there needs to be a system of check and balances. A lot of Moderators banning could get out of hand. I think you're onto a good idea though.

We should move this to the Forum Suggestions forum, since that's what it is.

Thanks!

I don't think Naomi is suggesting that moderators do the actual banning, she is suggesting that moderators be able to flag a user to be banned and for that users posts to become hidden until they are either banned or the flag removed.

It’s unlikely that moderators would abuse this feature.  If they did, I’m pretty sure complaints would flood in and they would loose their moderator privilege :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:57 AM
  • on't think Naomi is suggesting that moderators do the actual banning, she is suggesting that moderators be able to flag a user to be banned and for that users posts to become hidden until they are either banned or the flag removed.

It’s unlikely that moderators would abuse this feature.  If they did, I’m pretty sure complaints would flood in and they would loose their moderator privilege :-)

Yes, exactly. MS also should be able to actively fight spammers. Lately they became more visible and use a new tactic of hijacking good threads and making their SPAM posts impossible to delete.

My blog

Friday, September 7, 2012 11:47 AM
  • I sent this thread to the forum team.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:38 AM
    Owner
  • Got an official answer. We recently implemented a HotFix about two weeks ago, which decreased SPAM posts (not all people have seen the decrease, but it has helped). Next, we have a "trusted user" feature for decreasing Spam. ETA is late Sept release.

The feature suggested here is not currently planned, but it has been passed onto the Forums team for consideration.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:55 AM
    Owner
  • Ed,

Just following up on this - today has been a prime example of where this would be incredibly useful.  I've had repeated spammers in some of the forums I moderate doing 2-3 posts per minute today.  While I can request a ban, it's averaging about 20 minutes to get each user banned - which means that I'm deleting 40-50 posts per spam bot.  It's a huge waste of time, and incredibly frustrating... especially after the third or fourth occurrence in a single day.

Naomi's suggestion would have made this far easier - flag them as "to ban" (, and maybe notify), and be done, instead of wasting huge amounts of time.

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Ed,

Just following up on this - today has been a prime example of where this would be incredibly useful.  I've had repeated spammers in some of the forums I moderate doing 2-3 posts per minute today.  While I can request a ban, it's averaging about 20 minutes to get each user banned - which means that I'm deleting 40-50 posts per spam bot.  It's a huge waste of time, and incredibly frustrating... especially after the third or fourth occurrence in a single day.

Naomi's suggestion would have made this far easier - flag them as "to ban" (, and maybe notify), and be done, instead of wasting huge amounts of time.

This is a good scenario/story. I'm sending it onto our Forums owner.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:02 PM
    Owner
  • UPDATE: The response I got has been positive. So they are currently considering this solution along with current solutions in the works.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:29 AM
    Owner
  • BTW, I haven't been seeing this type of SPAM lately (last weekend), so perhaps some security code was added to prevent such SPAMs.

My blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:33 AM
  • Awesome! Yes, but a bigger/better update's coming. Good to know there's progress. Let's see if it continues. Thanks!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:56 AM
    Owner