How do I run a manual virus scan? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using WLOC vs 2.5.2900.20.

Virus/spyware definitions vs 1.49.88.0

Fireware policy vs 1.2.32.120

PROBLEM:

About two weeks ago I added my husband's computer to my WLOC circle and now the WLOC window has changed and no longer offers the option to run the virus scan manually. Instead it shows "summary" lines of "Protection Plus" "Performance Pllus" "Backup and restore"  just saying they are all OK. I have WLOC set to virus scan every day and assume it is doing that but I see no place to check a report to see what it has found except to click on the monthly report--which is necessarily out-of-date since it is the "old" report-- to 11/24.

Strangely, WLOC on my husband's laptop displays the window the way it used to be on mine and lets him run a virus scan or tune-up whenever he wishes.

How can I restore the WLOC window to the way it was before--that allowed a manual virus scan? 

[I don't know how to take a "screen shot" to show you how it looks.]

My computer is now the "hub" PC.  If I click on "stop using this PC as a hub PC" will the window revert to the former display?  But then, will my husband still be covered by WLOC?

This need for a manual scan was precipitated by receiving an email purportedly from a friend whose computer, I belatedly discovered, had been hijacked by someone sending a "begging" message from Nigeria. I wanted to be certain that the fraudulent email had not contained any virus.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:51 PM

Answers

• On your Hub PC, click on your computer name at the upper left of the OneCare window to see the display that you used to have for running tasks manually.

You are describing the display that you get if you click on "Your OneCare Circle" that shows the status of all of the PCs in the Circle in summary form.

You can see many more details of the actions of OneCare by opening OneCare, clicking Change Settings, going to the logging tab and clicking Create Support Log. A detailed report will open in your browser that is much more useful (and complicated) than the monthly report.

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I'll jump in for your other question for OneCareBear....

If you buy a Mac, OneCare will not install on it unless you decide to install Windows on the Mac, either as the only operating system or using one of the options to allow for Dual-boot.

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Jorie,

Since I haven't ever used the Hub feature myself, I'm not sure if there's a way to get at the individual items you've mentioned, though I'd suspect that there is. However, there's really no need to use the Circle/Hub feature unless you actually wish to monitor the sate of the other PC(s) in your Circle. If your husband will watch for the red OneCare symbol in the Notification Tray, respond to it's indications and either talk to you or do what's needed himself, you really shouldn't need it.

If you stop using this PC as a hub PC, it should revert to as it was originally.

As for the email, if it didn't contain an attachment and/or you never opened the attachment and have deleted the original message, it's unlikely it could have infected the PC. Generally, the type of message you mentioned (Nigerian Scam) is simply an email [Phishing] message attempting to trick you into revealing a bank acoount number or into sending advance payment in return for supposedly receiving a much larger sum of money.

If you wish to understand more about this particular scam or any others you might receive in future emails, this link is to Snopes.com which contains explanations for many of the long lived Internet hoaxes, email or otherwise.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp

OneCareBear

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:34 AM
  • You have done it again--a great, clear answer.  Thank you very much. Your instructions worked and the WLOC window is now back to what it was.

Perhaps my question should have been titled differently so that others with "PC as hub" issues would know where to look?

I'm also glad to know the phishing email probably didn't have any effect on my computer.  I didn't know where to report it tho, so thanks for the liks.

About the Nigerian scam email: it was different from anything I've received before from Nigeria. This purportedly came from the email account of an immigrant friend, actually a Hmong from Laos. He has a doctorate and usually writes with better syntax, etc. That was "explained" because "he" was in an internet cafe in Nigeria and had only 30 minutes of computer use. The story was that he'd lost his documents and wallet in a taxi, had no way to prove his identity, and had run up a hotel bill of several thousand dollars (but presently had no money for food) while attending a conference dealing with helping youths with AIDS.  A real tear jerker of course.  We called our friend who said his computer had apparently been hijacked.

If you read this OCB, may I beg your indulgence for a totally-unrelated question?  Since Macs now use many MS programs, will WLOC work on a new laptop if I buy a MacBook for my husband for Christmas?

Friday, December 5, 2008 2:24 PM
  • On your Hub PC, click on your computer name at the upper left of the OneCare window to see the display that you used to have for running tasks manually.

You are describing the display that you get if you click on "Your OneCare Circle" that shows the status of all of the PCs in the Circle in summary form.

You can see many more details of the actions of OneCare by opening OneCare, clicking Change Settings, going to the logging tab and clicking Create Support Log. A detailed report will open in your browser that is much more useful (and complicated) than the monthly report.

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I'll jump in for your other question for OneCareBear....

If you buy a Mac, OneCare will not install on it unless you decide to install Windows on the Mac, either as the only operating system or using one of the options to allow for Dual-boot.

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Excellent!!  Works just fine.  Guess this is one thing OCB didn't have experience w/ since he hasn't used the "hub" thing.  Your advice works perfectly so now I can have it both ways.Yeah!

Thanks much!

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Thanks for this answer as well.  We are now re-thinking the Mac option since we've been reading that Macs are now becoming targets for all the nasties that MS has had to deal w/.  So your answser helps in the "indecision factor" as attempt to assemble information to guide this choice.  The price of Macs kinda blows us away!

I REALLY appreciate the terrific help I get from these MS forums. You folks are just great and I appreciate your patience almost as much as your expertise.  Sometimes we "laypeople," who don't know all the jargon, don't  know how to express our problems exactly but it has been my experience that you "hang in there" with me until the true issue comes to light.  If you ever need encouragement, please remember that you have at least ONE very thankful consumer of your information product! 

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Thanks very much for the kind words. Macs are still targets for malware, but *way* less than Windows PCs. Actually, so low that running without A/V on OSX on a Mac is not really a problem for most people.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:42 PM