Is Microsoft's Help Desk Human? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I seem to be getting the run-around from the Live Search Help team and am getting nowhere.

I have placed a ticket, received several responses, however none of the responses that seemingly come from 'real' people, do not address my issue.  Any one else have that problem?

I asked what could be the cause of my website all of sudden not being crawled.  The status says that MSNbot is not blocked, Robots is okay, sitemap has been submitted, MSNbot has crawled my website once back in May and has never returned again.

If anyone on this Forum has encountered the same thing and has managed to resolve it, I'd like to hear it.

I am becoming convinced that no one at the Live Search team is human.

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:33 PM

Answers

•  

I can neither deny nor confirm what Energy said as there are about 2,500 data points the MSNbot takes into consideration. However, if it worked for him, it might work for you. What is your domain name and I will take a look from my side.

Brett

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi..

I had the same experience regarding the indexing.

I started to look into the problem myself, and this is my conclusion:

We all seems to be crawled more often and get more content indexed by Google and Yahoo.

Why? Google and Yahoo seem to take less notice regarding the title and description. They don’t seem to take any notice if the title is over 80 characters, or the description is over 250 characters and don’t really match with the content text (it might result in lower ranking, but still it will be indexed). Live Search seems to give up websites that don’t follow these guidelines. So what I’m saying is that: If Live Search crawls a website that has way too many keywords or the keywords relevancy to page content is terrible/poor, too long title, or the descriptions relevancy to the page is poor/terrible or way over 250 characters it will just give up/leave the website/not include it in the indexing.

I managed to change all my websites to for fill these guidelines, and what happened?

I got all my websites indexed, and now Live Search is crawling my websites more than once a day.

(I also added “sitemap: http://www.domain.sitemap.xml” to the robots.txt file)

I would recommend you to check you’re Meta tags, it might solve you’re problem too.

It’s like driving. They have nearly the same rules for driving in India and England, but you would not lose you´re plates for driving a terrible wreck in India, they might just give you a fine/ticket. In England they would take you’re plates and give you a fine/ticket and in worse case put you in jail.

This is my experience, I hope it was helpful.

Best regards

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:17 PM
  •  

I can neither deny nor confirm what Energy said as there are about 2,500 data points the MSNbot takes into consideration. However, if it worked for him, it might work for you. What is your domain name and I will take a look from my side.

Brett

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Hi Brett..

Somtimes it help to take a look at the writers profile, you will find usefull informatin there..

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:46 PM
  • True...

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I personally don't think that the length of the title of meta description can effect whether or how frequent a bot visit you. Although I agree that everything should be in order in the first place.

Maybe the xml sitemap triggered some action ... hmm
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:49 PM