Has anyone else seen? RRS feed

• Question

• Been running WHS for about 2 weeks now and have it installed on 2 XP clients with identical specs (Nforce 4 mobos with AMD A64 x2 procs, 1 with 1GB RAM, and the other with 2GB ram).  1 box runs fine, can access all shares and boots up normally; however my brand new box with the 2GB ram had a fresh load of windows on it and booted up in  a snap before loading the home connector software.  Post WHS connector install, the system boots up quickly, but then I can't access anything on the network for an extra 20-30 seconds until the WHS icon shows up in the systray.  I haven't run any of the bug report tools yet, but the WHS client seems to be holding up the TCP/IP stack for some reason.  (oh, and when I uninstall the tool, it starts up 20-30 seconds quicker again).

I've checked for newer NIC card drivers for my client, and I'm running the latest.  I've also noticed from time to time that with the WHS client installed, my A/V client (Mcafee Enterprise 8.5i) shuts itself off randomly.  It'll flip off for a solid minute, but I can't see that anything is happening to my computer, and then it flips back on again.  As with the other symptom, uninstalling WHS client makes the problems go away, but reinstalling brings them back.

As i said in the subject, anyone else seen this?

Thanks in advance,

N

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:20 AM

All replies

• I have not seen this myself but your mention of the issue with your A/V client makes me curious.  Have you tried disabling Mcafee or any other software (like a firewall) to see if it made a difference?  Just a thought.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:29 PM
  • If you simply disable the Connector software, will the antivirus software still cycle on and off?  It's very possible that there's a conflict between the two programs.  Also, you might try running bootvis and doing a boot trace to see if any drivers or other programs are holding up the system at the end of the boot process.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 2:00 AM
  • What you may want to try is going into Mcaffee and disabling the firewall functionality of the product and see if the problem still persists. There is a good possibility that the Mcaffee firewall service is denying access to the network until it is fully loaded, and that is causing the WHS connector to hold on loading until it can access the network.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 2:56 AM