Windows Custom Domains RRS feed

• Question

• I released my Custom Domain name by accident. I tried to reissue it and it states it is taken. How do I go about re-activating my original custom domain name for my Windows Home Server?
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:45 PM

All replies

• If you released it and someone else has taken it (which is what I believe has happened), it's gone. Get a different domain name. If you just released it, try again in a few hours or tomorrow; there may be a period after release when it's not available at all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Try DNS lookup to check if the domain is still linked to your IP. If it is keep trying regulary (daily). If it resolves to another IP it's taken.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Thanks Brubber,

I checked under DNS lookup and it is linked to my IP address. Is there anything I can do to get it back? Release my IP? I doubt anyone has taken it since it is a last name that is rare and I have different variables in the name.

Thanks,

Abe

Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Hi Abe,

if you claim a new domain and enter the Live ID, which you used to register the old one, the old domain name should be offered. This requires of course, that you can remember that Live ID.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:32 PM
  • 1.) I released the old domain name by accident. 

2.) I tried to immediately then re-register it and it states the Domain name is unavailable.

3.) So what I did was I created a new one and added "family" after our last name. Refreshing the remote access page shows the "new" domain name is working and I have remote access. However, I am trying to log in from IE and its not resolving the remote access site. 

4.) I have only used one Live ID. I re used the the LIVE ID from my original Domain and for the new one.

Abe

Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:04 PM
    3.) So what I did was I created a new one and added "family" after our last name. Refreshing the remote access page shows the "new" domain name is working and I have remote access. However, I am trying to log in from IE and its not resolving the remote access site.
    DNS propagation takes time. Certainly a few hours, and potentially longer.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Ok thanks. I will post again if it is not resolved. I did yesterday.

Abe

Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Well it has been almost two weeks and my original domain name is not available. Any thoughts?

Abe

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:50 PM
  • I would expect it to be more like months before the vanity URL is tossed back into the pool.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:54 PM
  • It is now March and my original Custom Domain has not been released. What needs to be done to get my customer domain back? Next, I have an error not on the REMOTE ACCESS page that states CUSTOM DOMAIN NOT WORKING? I cannot even refresh?

Abe

Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:26 AM