none
IT Career: MTA for Windows Server Administration or jump start to MCSA?

Question

• Hi All,

I want to pursue a career in the IT industry, particularly in Sys Admin field for Windows Server - MCSA to MCSE.

With regard to my experience, I worked as a technical support rep in a domain hosting company. What we mainly do is to help users register their domain name(s) and help them configure/manage their DNS resource records. Prior to that, I've also worked in an ISP, helping user(s) in configuring/setting up their internet service. (A typical call center agent job).

Now, I'm working as a freelance desktop/computer technician, I have more time studying about window server administration. With the help of online tutorials, I was able to build an Active Directory running on Server 2008 R2 with users, all in virtual machines. And I'm planning to upgrade it to Server 2012.

Since I don't have a real world IT Infrastructure experience in Windows Servers, I am confuse on where to start the career what I want. Should I take first the MTA for Windows Server Administration under Entry Level to gain more experience? or can I start working on the exam path for Associate Level - MCSA (while looking for an entry level IT)? 

Your advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Mhy

Friday, January 15, 2016 3:42 PM

Answers

• The MTA is a good starting point and it is much less complicated than the information thrown at you in the MCSA course. You can get both the MTA course and the MCSA prep course on the Microsoft Virtual Academy web site for FREE! I would check that out and look at both courses. They have the courses and the assessments on line and that would give you a good idea of what you are ready to handle. If you decide to go the MCSA route I would buy the study guides and read them through several times as well as get some hands on experience working with Windows Server.

I hope this helps!

• Marked as answer by NoobMhy Saturday, January 16, 2016 2:12 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Thank you LhkingVT!

I just added the Windows Server Administration Fundamentals course on My Learning Plan.

Saturday, January 16, 2016 2:12 PM

All replies

• The MTA is a good starting point and it is much less complicated than the information thrown at you in the MCSA course. You can get both the MTA course and the MCSA prep course on the Microsoft Virtual Academy web site for FREE! I would check that out and look at both courses. They have the courses and the assessments on line and that would give you a good idea of what you are ready to handle. If you decide to go the MCSA route I would buy the study guides and read them through several times as well as get some hands on experience working with Windows Server.

I hope this helps!

Friday, January 15, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Thank you LhkingVT!

I just added the Windows Server Administration Fundamentals course on My Learning Plan.

Saturday, January 16, 2016 2:12 PM