How to access Windows Server Hard drives on PC after server Hardware failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP 490 Media Home Server with WHS 2011 installed.  The server HW died, the disks are fine, I tried to access the hard drives on a Windows 10 PC to recover the data but the show an error message saying I don't have access to the drives.  I tried changing the permissions, but I don't have access to change the permissions even I am an administrator on the PC.  Any suggestions?
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:41 AM

Answers

• Thanks a lot Eve, got the server, switched the drives and now works like a charm.  Thanks a lot for your help!
    • Marked as answer by Jorgeva Saturday, January 20, 2018 6:05 AM
    Saturday, January 20, 2018 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If possible, connect WHS2011 hardware to your client PC via cable, then, open File Explorer – This PC, right click the disk and select Properties – Security – Advanced, please try to change the Owner of this disk and check the result.

If problem persists, please provide me the screenshot of the disk’s “Properties – Security” and “Properties – Security – Advanced” screen.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 8:20 AM
  • Thanks and apologies for the delay in the reply.  The server is just plain not running on, so I get nothing when plugging it in to the PC.  when powered the light turns on for a fraction of a second, turns off and that's it.  I'm assuming I'll have to deal with the hard drives individually.  I do have a PC with an external IATA drive to hot swap drives and that's where I tried to read the disks having the access problem.  Any suggestions based on this info?
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:25 AM
  • Hi,

>I do have a PC with an external IATA drive to hot swap drives and that's where I tried to read the disks having the access problem.
    Could you open and edit the security tab of drive properties? Please provide the screenshot of the security tab.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, January 15, 2018 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Hi Eve,  I located a second hand identical server and I'll get it shortly, I'll hold on trying to change configuration on the drives until I verify if the new server works and I can avoid the need to manually extract the info.   Will keep you posted with results...
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to have an update.

Is there is anything else we can do, please feel free to let us know. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, January 19, 2018 7:49 AM
  • Thanks a lot Eve, got the server, switched the drives and now works like a charm.  Thanks a lot for your help!
    • Marked as answer by Jorgeva Saturday, January 20, 2018 6:05 AM
    Saturday, January 20, 2018 6:05 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, January 22, 2018 1:47 AM