false spyware warning RRS feed

• Question

• Something has infected my Windows Vista machine. OneCare Spyware says all is well. The defender icon keeps flashing, I get a blue screen trying to sell me something called spycare ... I dumped everything from my browser. How can I find this thing? I ran a full virus scan.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 11:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Billvj,

Follow the instructions in this post, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=662566&SiteID=2, to report a virus that is not cleaned by OneCare and to get help in removal.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Cancel this service and get your money back. Not worth all the manipulations you have to go thru to clean these viruses. I believe the program may actually be causing these viruses.

Especially the Worm32.win and the Defender Spyware remover that takes over your browser.

Good Luck!

Sunday, March 9, 2008 1:39 PM
  •  Robnetta wrote:

Cancel this service and get your money back. Not worth all the manipulations you have to go thru to clean these viruses. I believe the program may actually be causing these viruses.

Especially the Worm32.win and the Defender Spyware remover that takes over your browser.

Good Luck!

I debated deleting your post, but decided against it as you are entitled to your opinion.

Note that no antispyware or antivirus software is perfect, and that includes OneCare.

OneCare does *not* "cause viruses" as you speculate above, but if an infection is not prevented or detected by OneCare, the proper path for getting this resolved is through support.

There are plenty of alternatives, of course, going to other spyware/malware forums for help in detailed manual removal steps included. As a OneCare user, support exists to prevent the need for these alternatives.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 4:14 PM