Stuck on "Finalizing installation" RRS feed

• Question

• WHS installed to the point where it is booted into windows but the setup window comes up and says "finalizing installation". I let it run over night and there is no progress indicated. Every time I reboot the setup window re-appears at the same point in the installation. What can I do to get this resolved?

tb
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:04 PM

Answers

• contractcooker said:

Performing a re-installation.

Thanks for the quick response

That is common for a Server Reinstallation.  That is the last part of the setup where it recreates tombstones for every file on your server.  Depending on how much data you have, it could potentially take days for it to run.  The best thing to do is to leave it alone. :)

Any idea how much data you have on it (both in terms of total GBs used and number of files)?
    • Marked as answer by contractcooker Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:50 PM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:24 PM
  • contractcooker said:

I have 3.5TB. LOL. I was going to add 2 more 1.5TB hard drives today. Should I hold off until this is done?

Yep, wait for the process to finish.  Once you get to the Welcome screen, you will need to re-add your users and re-install any add-ins.  Once that's complete, then add the 1.5 TB drives.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:34 PM

All replies

• contractcooker said:

WHS installed to the point where it is booted into windows but the setup window comes up and says "finalizing installation". I let it run over night and there is no progress indicated. Every time I reboot the setup window re-appears at the same point in the installation. What can I do to get this resolved?

tb

Are you performing a Server Reinstallation or a New Installation?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Performing a re-installation.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:18 PM
  • contractcooker said:

Performing a re-installation.

That is common for a Server Reinstallation.  That is the last part of the setup where it recreates tombstones for every file on your server.  Depending on how much data you have, it could potentially take days for it to run.  The best thing to do is to leave it alone. :)

Any idea how much data you have on it (both in terms of total GBs used and number of files)?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:24 PM
  • I have 3.5TB. LOL. I was going to add 2 more 1.5TB hard drives today. Should I hold off until this is done?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:26 PM
  • contractcooker said:

I have 3.5TB. LOL. I was going to add 2 more 1.5TB hard drives today. Should I hold off until this is done?

Yep, wait for the process to finish.  Once you get to the Welcome screen, you will need to re-add your users and re-install any add-ins.  Once that's complete, then add the 1.5 TB drives.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:34 PM