Attachments in Project Site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Project Server 2010. I would like know that where are the attachments saved in Project Site. For Example, i've created a project and now i go to project site and than i create an issue/risk and attach a related document as well. Now If i want to take a backup of that folder where all these files are saved how wod i do that. I tried to search it out but couldnt find a way. Need help please.

Thanks,

_________________________________________________________ Fahad Khan
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Fodi30,

As I replied in your earlier post, Issues & Risk can be pulled from Project server reporting database.

You can use the following Table to pull the data:

MSP_WssIssue

This table contains the ProjectUID as well as all other info of a Issue in project like the NumberOfAttachments but it wont have the data. It will be stored in content database .

Sharepoint stores documents of list (document library or attachments of lists) in Alluserdata table of content database. And the name of these documents are stored in tp_leafname column as described in the file from Daniel. But to retrieve the content of the document is complicated, because it is stored in some columns which contain binary form of data. You should use some code to retrieve them. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Amit Khare

• Marked as answer by fodi30 Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:51 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Fodie,

The simplest way would be to open the document library in Explorer view and copy the contents to you backup Drive/Device. Other that that you could possibly site / Site collections backups using STSADM commands.

Let me know if it helped

• Hello Fodi30,

As I replied in your earlier post, Issues & Risk can be pulled from Project server reporting database.

You can use the following Table to pull the data:

MSP_WssIssue

This table contains the ProjectUID as well as all other info of a Issue in project like the NumberOfAttachments but it wont have the data. It will be stored in content database .

Sharepoint stores documents of list (document library or attachments of lists) in Alluserdata table of content database. And the name of these documents are stored in tp_leafname column as described in the file from Daniel. But to retrieve the content of the document is complicated, because it is stored in some columns which contain binary form of data. You should use some code to retrieve them. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Amit Khare

• Marked as answer by fodi30 Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:51 AM
  • You might want to look at these :

This is an .exe file that can extract files from a SharePoint Content DB, but you need to change a couple of settings (data connection string):

http://www%2Esharepointforum%2Ecom/Documents/Useful%20Files/SharepointExtractTool.zip

This is a Visual Studio project that can extract files directly from a SharePoint Content Database.

http://www%2Esharepointforum%2Ecom/Documents/Useful%20Files/ToolToExtractDocFromSharepoint.doc

I recommend you to try this in a test/dev environment before running in production, and do a backup of SharePoint before!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Fodie / Amit,

I do not wish to step on anyone's toes, but i think working directly in SQL rather from the client side is rather dangerous. If you do wish to do so Fodie PLease ensure you have full backups of the environment. There are usually other options, the very very last option will be to do it directly in SQL.

Andre

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Accessing the Project Server reporting database is supported. Accessing all other dbs directly including SharePoint content DBs IS NOT supported!
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Christophe,

Thanks for your response. I am aware that one can access it. I purely pointed out that it could be dangerous and that backups should be made. But i have taken note of your response.

Andre

Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:50 AM
  • Thanks to all of u in explaining t hings in so much detail...i really appreciate it...just to tell u that we have a seperate standalone server with sharepoint and projectserver on it which is totally for testing purpose so i will apply the above mentioned steps and if successful than i will do them on the production server. Anyways thanks alot for your guidence.

Regards,

_________________________________________________________ Fahad Khan
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:54 AM