SQL Agent$ <servername> is not running on the server <servername> RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting this error trying to install CRM 2011 on a Windows 2008 R2 box.

my backend SQL is on a cluster and is called LOBVS312\LOBVS312 running on port 50009.  There are firewalls between my CRM box and my SQL box

The service IS running, my installer account is a full domain admin (and therefore a local admin) and has full DB admin rights as well.

ports 1433, 1434 and 50009 are open between the CRM and SQL.  the usual gubbins (445, 135 etc) are open between the CRM and DCs and the SQL box and DCs.

I saw mention somewhere that port445 is required, but it wasnt clear if its required between CRM and SQL, and if so why should it be needed?  Also a wireshark trace didn;t show it trying to talk on 445.

I have performed a successful connection from CRM to SQL using ODBC - so it can quite happily talk to SQL itself, so obviously something else is going on.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:15 PM

Answers

• The CRM Installer attempts to contact the Window Service Controller on the SQL Server to determine whether the SQL Server Agent Service is running; this requires port 135 (RPC) open on the SQL Server.

A full list of ports required for the installation of CRM can be found in the Planning Guide; part of the CRM 2011 Implementation Guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3621

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:46 AM

All replies

• I wonder if CRM uses the SQL browser to test things during setup. Do you have the browser running?

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:24 PM
  • First check if the SQL server agent service is running on teh SQL server.

If tou see it is running check the account on which it is running, if it is a custom account change it to local system and the try the set up and see if it reoccurs.

Arpita

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:29 PM
  • The CRM Installer attempts to contact the Window Service Controller on the SQL Server to determine whether the SQL Server Agent Service is running; this requires port 135 (RPC) open on the SQL Server.

A full list of ports required for the installation of CRM can be found in the Planning Guide; part of the CRM 2011 Implementation Guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3621

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Yes, it seems it was a firewall issue despite the fact that the firewalls team had assured me all the ports I'd requested were open!  It seems for some reason they opened the ports and a different firewall!

Thanks for all your replies.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:25 AM