cannot turn on firewall RRS feed

• Question

• What happened, I cannot turn on your firewall.

Forum: Windows Live OneCare Firewall
    Posted: : Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:45 AM
    Post Subject: : Firewall won't turn on in OneCare
     Drew Capuder wrote:

I've been completely unable to turn on the firewall in OneCare. I've run the fiirewall repair tool, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled OneCare. I've followed the instructions to repair the firewall in the OneCare help site.

I've carewfully reviewed the posts in this forum (Fireall in OneCare), and, as far as I can tell, I've followed all the instructions that anyone has posted, and I've followed all the instructions on the OneCare support site. I've run Services.msc from Start, Run, and that has not worked.

Absolutely nothing has worked.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Drew Capuder

Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• I found your post in the Reporting folder, which is used to report abusive behavior in the forums to the moderators.

Try the Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

If this does not help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:08 PM
  • I had similar problem, after severally attempts and finally installed Onecare, it shows that I cant turn on Firewall. Following the online help and start up "services.msc", Onecare Firewall was not in the list.  What should i do, please dont ask me to uninstall and reinstall Onecare again - i have done it 4 times already. 

Also, when I downloaded and run Firewall Repair Tool, the pop-up window on Adminstrator previleges came up, but the "Continue" botton was not active - i cant click on it eventhough my user account is adminstrator.  

I have also submitted an enquiry to the email support service.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:35 PM
  • If you do not receive a response from your email support request in 24 hours, please post back or, if you are a paid subscriber,  unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste a link to the post to which you are replying. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

To run the firewall repair tool, right click the downloaded file and select "run as administrator."

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:57 PM
  • tks - your advice helped. I was able to run firewall repair tool now.

However, the tool encounter error while reinstalling the firewall engine with error code 1603. will send you an email

Saturday, May 3, 2008 11:36 PM
  • I've replied to your email. However, in the email I noted that a reinstall may still be needed. I don't know why you're getting the 1603 error when the tool runs. There is a possibility that something is conflicting with the firewall and preventing it from starting and is the cause of the error when you run the tool.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 3:10 PM