Frequent Reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else noticed more frequent re-boots lately?   My system appears to be rebooting every couple hours since last night.  Typical reboot had been every few days, after installs, etc.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Certainly not. I would be checking out the logs etc, if any of my systems were having any reboots apart from the infrequent 'Patch Tuesday' ons.

Is this your server, or a client?

Colin

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:37 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Certainly not. I would be checking out the logs etc, if any of my systems were having any reboots apart from the infrequent 'Patch Tuesday' ons.

Is this your server, or a client?

Colin

It's on my server side...  I'll keep an eye and post any additional details if it continues

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Just out interest, what Anti-Virus software is installed?  Sounds like a virus is up to no good.  Also check your Router/Firewall logs, as could be a remote attack.  Also check for spyware/rootkits.  Prey its not a virus and it is hardware...

After thats all ruled out, maybe look for any Hardware faults, ie over temp of CPU, System logs in event viewer will show a reason.  But you may see 'unexpected shutdown' entries upon reboot.

Keep us posted...

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:01 PM
  • The issue persists in exactly 2 hour increments based on the server power on time.

ed205gti - no antivirus running on the server side. Are most running an antivirus on their WHS? 

Nothing of note in the router logs, and all the readings on teps, fans, power, etc are within spec.

This error is cropping up after the power-up (aka not leading up to the reset) around the time of most resets, but not all.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Search Service
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 3013
    Date:  6/17/2008
    Time:  1:48:09 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: MMBPROL1
    Description:
    The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\RECENT\ADMIN_DESKTOP_WARNING.HTM.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
     Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Please file a bug with the CAB number for your home server.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:06 AM
  • Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Posted the bug on Connect.

Tried turning off duplication last night - no impact. 

Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:37 AM
  • "The issue persists in exactly 2 hour increments based on the server power on time."

This sounds strangely familiar. Are you running the Eval version of WHS? It seems I have seen posts indicating the two hour reboots being a symptom of an Eval that has reached expiration.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:03 PM
  • I had an issue of random reboots for awhile, especially when moving files and stressing the i/o components.  Caused me file coruption and shared folder problems.

For me, what I believe fixed it was a WHS automatic update patch for my AMD processor, which was optional and I avoided for awhile until I got desparate.

It would help for us to know what hardware you are using.

here is what I use.

System:

ecs(elite) 4m-a mb, AMD 5000+ black CPU, 2gb gskill ddr2 800 memory, evga 7950 video card, corsair 620w PS, 2 venus backplane modules for the hard drives( 7x 1tb drives currently), 1gb realtek nic pci card

My ECS board is cheap and limited on voltage selections for CPU and memory, uses bare minimum.

4 of my drives run off of a realtek based SATA pci card (cheap)

I have read of problems with realtek based nics.  Some people recommend Marvell chipsets.

These are the 3 cheapest components in my system.

I may have to upgrade these if my reboots return for some reason.

I think it is important that any hardware you use has specific 2003 drivers, using XP or another driver may be an issue.

If WHS shows an update for a piece of your hardware I would try it.  I never did this in the past with XP but I was desparate with my issue with my WHS so I tried it and it worked.

I am not sure about your every 2 hour issue but mine seemed to be fairly regular as well, it may be mis-leading you.

As far as antivirus is concerned, i use Moon Secure Antivirus which is the only free 2003 virus program I could find and seems to do a good job, although I will turn it off if my machine reboots again to eliminate it as the culprit, but so far it seems to work..

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:28 PM
  • markravs,

The error message you posted, has been seen before. The WHS Team, at the time, said that it was of no consequence, and could be safely ignored.

If that's the case, it would point to it not being the reason for your 'shut-downs'.

There has been cases where the WHS 'thinks' it's a it's joined to a Domain, and therefore shuts down. However, that happens usually every 24 hours.

What are the hardware specs of your server?

Colin

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:42 PM
  • So it appears to be the evaulation copy being expired (WHS team also concluding via connect)- although the 65 day rule per the UK post doesn't seem to apply as the system is showing a valid license until 8/3/08

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2832872&SiteID=50

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/11/08/known-issue-windows-home-server-120-day-evaluation-version-expires-without-warning/

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:18 AM