about message routing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I do not have any problems ( I had... but fixed all of them Smile but have some concerns about message routing.

I set up an OCS 2007 server with a front-edge, PIC , audio-video edge, web access some time ago and it works pretty fine.

We have mobile users running bb connected through a BES which has the connector to the OCS server.

This to explain that users can connect from their pc , from home, from IE anywhere, and from their blackberries. One good and bad thing is that when you connect from an other place , you do not get disconnected from the first place you connected ( like live messenger ).

Good thing :

- you don't get disconnected ....

Bad thing :

- the messages should be routed to the last place you logged in ( well on the paper ok, but in real life not always , being honest ~99,99% )

- the message I receive on my BB or at home are not saved ... my communicator with outlook at work save the conversation but not the one I receive elsewhere ( and those are the ones that I maybe want to keep )

- finally I would rather have the messages sent to all places I 'm logged in .... or at least have the choice to select where I want the message to be delivered.

As you see , I do not have any problem really, more a feature that I am missing , I am really looking forward to hear about your own user experience and eventually if someone from the microsoft communicator dev team could answer me Big Smile would be great.

Thanks ! Maya

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:07 AM

All replies

• When same user signs in to Office Communication Server from different client systems, OCS registers each sign in as Enhanced Presence Endpoint.

These client systems include Office Communicator from different client systems, Communicator Web Access and Communicator Mobile Access.

OCS tracks all these endpoints to determine most accurate presence state of the user. When a message is send it forks the invitation to all the endpoints.

When a users responds from one of the client, it stops forking all the remaining clients and subsequent messages for this session will be sent to same client from where he accepted the invite.

There is no way you can get message at all of the terminals (endpoints). The message will be saved or not will depend on the communicator setting which has received this message.
    If the communicator has setting to save the message, it'll be saved otherwise not!

Regards,
    R. Kinker
    MCTS - LCS 2005, MCTS - OCS 2007
    http://www.ocspedia.com
    http://www.itcentrics.com/LCS_Home.htm

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Just curious, you indicated that you were getting OCS access from your Blackberry.  I would definitely like to get that working on our OCS 2007 implementation.  Are you doing that via the Blackberry Messenger client and the Blackberry Enterprise Server or some other product (e.g., the WebMessenger client and server)?  If BES-oriented, what version of the BES are you using?  I was hearing that the capability for OCS 2007 integration would not be ready until at least BES 4.1.6 and possibly not until version 4.5. 

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:53 PM
  • I am running connection through a BES connected to OCS. I am running BES4.1.4 .

If I understood well Smile , there is two way to connect your BES to your OCS :

- "LCS" BB client on the bb device -> BES -> port 5060 or 5061 -> OCS server

- "OCS" BB client on the bb device -> BES -> http (or s do not remember ) -> OCWS server

at the time I setup the BES connection , I did not have the OC Web server , so I ran the setup to connect through port 5060 or 5061.

so , in french ( or in english ) ( sorry , doing this by heart so ... ):

- you download BES 4.1.3 service pack ( this is where the LCS and OCS client for BB are , under IM folder I think )

- depending your BES version (would recommend at least 4.1.4 ):

- you download the service pack

- you re-run the setup

- also you need to pay attention to the pre-requisites ( in the BES admin guide ) , u need to install MS Message Queue on the BES and other ....

- during setup, select to add collaboration service then whilst asked to select your client type , you MUST NOT select Communicator Client , but select Messenger/LCS

- reboot ....

- you have now a new tab for Collaboration service , you can set up the connection to your OCS server using either port 5060 or 5061 depending if you want to implement encyrption ( u will need a MTLS cert for your BES )

on your bb devices , you need to deploy the lcs client NOT the ocs client.

Maya

Monday, June 16, 2008 10:46 AM